zips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Nov 2019

Zips are rubbish these days! I have several jackets where zip no longer stays done up and I have had a few zips replaced already. What have they done differently? It's only in the last few years that I have found this to be a problem and it's disappointing to have spent a fortune on a jacket only for the zip to go after a few years. I can patch fabric on jackets myself, but zips are a bit trickier, so it's a more expensive professional repair, for yet another 2 jackets!!

Not looking for solutions really, just having a rant!

Flinticus 04 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Zip it!

Removed User 04 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

My zips work fine.

Apart from one.

Maybe it's something to do with your zipping technique?

Timmd 04 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Are they vislon zips with 'cog like' teeth which interlock, or coil zips which have been failing?

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/ykk-5-vislon-one-way-non-separating-z...

Vislon zip...

https://dresowka.pl/en/coil-zipper-60cm-open-end-dark-grey.html

Coil zip...

Vislon zips are meant to be more durable. Along with plastic clothes pegs which eventually snap, coil zips kind of irritate me, but they're unavoidable and some seem more durable.  I think there should be laws or rules on durability for things which aren't safety related (I don't mean zips can't be), it could help protect the environment - or make life less annoying if it didn't do.

Post edited at 23:43
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well,, it could be your putting weight on.! (Stressing that zip)

if you  cut the teeth of the old zip it’s easy to get a new one underneath the foot (sowing machines) not a neat job but works And has the advantage of letting the garment out at the same time ......if like me you need the extra 

Post edited at 23:30
pasbury 04 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

One cunning tip for zip maintenance is to rub a pencil up and down it a few times - the graphite acts as a lubricant.

I’ve done this for seized zips a few times and it works.

As to staying done up there is a tooth on some zips that keeps the zipper in place.

OP girlymonkey 05 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Maybe it's something to do with your zipping technique?

I guess it's always possible, but given that it's a recent problem, I'm not sure what I would have started doing differently in the last few years that I didn't do for the rest of my life!!

In reply to Name Changed 34:

Quite the opposite, I have been losing weight this year! 

On one of them, it's the bit at the very bottom of the zip which is the problem. The bulky bit that you put into the zip slider seems to have worn away and now it slips out and won't let it zip. Not sure why the other comes apart, it's part way up the zip that it separates but I can't see what is causing it.

In reply to pasbury:

It's more that they come apart either from the bottom or part way up once it has been done up.

Removed User 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

These guys know about zips. Some impressive homemade gear if you trawl through.

subtle 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Its must be your technique - its all about technique

Timmd 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> It's more that they come apart either from the bottom or part way up once it has been done up.

I bet that's a coil zip. 

GrahamD 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Its probably put the kiss of death on all my stuff, now, but I was just thinking the other day how much more reliable zips seemed to be now compared with the past.  Maybe its just a luck thing.

russellcampbell 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Agree about zips being rubbish but not working is a minor problem compared to physical problems zips can cause for unlucky / careless males. I'm not trying to be funny.

summo 05 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Most zip pulls have a code c5 for example and plenty retailers sell them. You just need to cut and restitch the fabric at the top to thread them on.

Most fail through wear, so just squeezing them gently with pliers first often narrows the gap and enables the teeth to lock together properly.

Yes. They are a pain. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...