Your New Years Resolution

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2020

Has yours failed yet?

Here's a good suggestion for how to approach doing things better in a more constructive way:

youtube.com/watch?v=NVGuFdX5guE&

My resolution hasn't actually failed (well, the standard "read more" one is looking pretty dodgy), which was to see live music. I've never been to classical concerts before (except being dragged by parents who couldn't get a baby sitter, who no doubt told themselves it was good for me when of course I was shit bored and wanted to play with some good toys not sit in silence wondering when the very long music was going to end) - but I went to my first piano recital the other day and loved it. A great performance of the Chopin's Ballade no.1 in G Minor, a big favourite of mine, among other things. And I've got tickets booked for more Chopin in London, so I'm doing well on my 'Year of Music'.

Of course, having a resolution just to do something fun isn't very challenging, but it is wholesome and worthwhile.

What is your 'tuning fork for the brain'?

HakanT 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I realised that resolving to do stuff that you don’t really want to do is pointless, so I’m resolving to do more of the things I enjoy. This year I have resolved to climb rock outdoors every month of the year . I live in London, so climbing outside is a bit more if a production than if you are closer to rock. I have managed to get my January climb in though.

Timmd 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm on track (but a month behind nearly) in sorting out better sleeping. I understand that most things in life stem from being mentally more alert and better rested, so I'm counting myself as doing well - broadly speaking. I can't embrace life for if I'm knackered.

I'm off for some herbal drink from Sainsburys just now, then I'm off to the land of nod.

Post edited at 23:06
 Trevers 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Mine was remaining in the EU. I've kept it up so far! Perhaps this year I'll make it to a month?

Post edited at 23:05
 girlymonkey 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I didn't make any firm resolutions, but I have an aim for the year to run a Munro. So far I have managed at least one run a week that feels like mountain running, without it quite being as big yet. So at the moment something with around 400m of ascent is hard but ok, I did a 600m ascent (over 15km) a couple of weeks ago and it felt very hard and I had to walk some of it. So I'd say I am working in the right direction and it should be achievable within the year as long as summer doesn't scupper my running too much.

Euan Todd 27 Jan 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

600m and 15km would definitely get you up some Munros.  Also when it does get steeper, walking (hands on thighs for power if you're pushing it) is normal for running hills - it's more efficient than running on steep ground.  

Basically, you're well on track - just get out and run some!

girlymonkey 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Euan Todd:

That particular route has nothing that steep, it is one that should be entirely runnable, so one to keep going back to! I realise that some walking might be needed for some hills.

Yes, I feel like I am making good progress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...