Windows Vista freezes on start up even in safe mode!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 11 Aug 2022

On my old PC, Windows Vista freezes on start up even in Safe Mode! It loads most programs in SM then freezes. I went into the BIOS (F10) to reset the date to present, but this didn't work. Then disconnected all devices and reconnected but still no joy. It's an old PC, but I need to access to some old RAW pics. Help please!

Hooo 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

If you just need access to the pics, then it's probably less hassle to pull the hard drive out and put it into a working machine as a second drive. You should see it appear as extra drives and you can browse it for your files. 

OP Sean Kelly 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Hooo:

That's interesting. I'll check that out. It would certainly save a load of hassle. Thanks.

wilkie14c 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Boot off a linux disc and get photies that way?

Ah, windows vista, them were the days 😂

Rob Parsons 11 Aug 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Boot off a linux disc ...

Yes. Or from a Linux USB stick.

If the OP is confident/competent with Linux, this sounds like the best approach.

OP Sean Kelly 11 Aug 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

Sorry, never used Linux.

fire_munki 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

TBH once you've booted off the USB you don't need any Linux-specific knowledge. Moving around with a mouse is the same as a Mac or Windows box. 

It's been a while since I've needed to make one but last time this worked well: https://unetbootin.github.io/

In reply to Hooo:

> If you just need access to the pics, then it's probably less hassle to pull the hard drive out

Vista-era HDD is likely to be IDE, rather than SATA. USB to IDE/SATA adaptors are a few quid.

Problem might be as simple as RAM modules needing to be re-seated.

montyjohn 12 Aug 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Problem might be as simple as RAM modules needing to be re-seated.

Ram is what came to my mind. If there's more than one stock, removing one (i.e. the faulty one by trial and error) could fix it.

The other problem could be a HDD error and it's a bit of the operating system that's been lost so the Linux option would be the easiest here.

Rob Parsons 12 Aug 2022
In reply to fire_munki:

> TBH once you've booted off the USB you don't need any Linux-specific knowledge.

You'll at least need to know how to mount the partitions of the problem disc - that won't be done automatically.

Hooo 12 Aug 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

I thought my XP machines were SATA, but you could be right. So a few quid for an adaptor then. I still reckon it's worth buying an adaptor rather than trying to resurrect an ancient PC just to retrieve some files.

The other advantage of using an adaptor is it prevents you leaving the old hard drive in there just in case. I used to regularly upgrade my PC and put the drives from my previous ones in just in case I needed something off them. After a few years I had a machine with about 4 drives full of crap and old Windows OS partions that I never got round to going through and getting rid of.

fire_munki 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Very good point, I guess it's exposure to systems for ages to assume that it's easy. 

Much like safe belaying, it's only easy when you have practiced lots.

In reply to Hooo:

> I still reckon it's worth buying an adaptor rather than trying to resurrect an ancient PC

Oh, I agree. That's why I bought a cheap USB to IDE/SATA adaptor years ago. Looks very much like this:

On the 'bay 354140485022

Note that you need to provide power for the drive; adaptor is data interface only. Desktop PC will usually have spare power leads, but a modern one may not have a 4-pin Molex needed for IDE drives.

Post edited at 18:19
 Petrafied 14 Aug 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Boot off a linux disc and get photies that way?

> Ah, windows vista, them were the days 😂

Quite recent surely?  3.1 and you're talking.

wilkie14c 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Petrafied:

I joined the party at 95, that was still better than vista!

NorthernGrit 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Upgrade?

Although I hear Arnold Schwarzenegger is still behind the times as well. He was asked why he's not upgrading to Windows 11 and he said "I still love Vista baby!"

Rob Parsons 19 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Have you got this sorted out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...