Windows Maxing Out Disk Usage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone else suffer the Windows 10 Disk 100% curse? My partner had it on her laptop sporadically for ages, now mine is doing it a lot too. It mainly seems to be linked to Windows Update but even when Update isn't running it still does it. I've disabled Superfetch and a lot of background processes but it still does it. I recently underwent the Windows 10 2004 update which was pretty significant but I don't see why that would still be unpacking in the background. AVG also seems to be high up there in task manager but it isn't scanning so the only thing I wonder is if AVG is scanning all the updates in real time or something. The disk is fairly new so it's not dying. 

Windows is not what it used to be! So tempted to start running Linux.  

elsewhere 28 Dec 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Sounds like my laptop so it would be great to get an answer/solution.

> Windows is not what it used to be! So tempted to start running Linux.  

Do it. Just do it. So much easier than it was in the bad old days. It's super easy to give it a try and your life will be so much better for it.

Niall_H 28 Dec 2020

Could be the search service going wonky:

https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-search-indexer-high-cpu-usage/

Max Hangs 28 Dec 2020

It would be worth running task manager, clicking "more details" and checking the "items" tab for things consuming a lot of resource (when the fault is presenting).

FWIW I have a work windows 10 build that is slightly held back, and a personal one that is kept up to date and both run absolutely fine, so I agree this is probably a local issue.

In reply to Niall_H:

I disabled Windows Search ages ago! There are so many threads online where some say they had success disabling search or superfetch, we have not been so lucky. 

I monitor the disk activity in resource monitor and it can be quite random, Windows processes, avg or just chrome. After a while the disk always returns to normal so I know it must be a core process somewhere 

David Riley 28 Dec 2020

Probably just normal windows update.   You could try disconnecting internet, or suspending updates.

Niall_H 28 Dec 2020

Fair enough!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...