Windows compact flash not recognized

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

As per post title.  

Compact flash was fine and by all accounts still working according to my midi production terminal.

Wondering if this has anything to do with that update a few weeks ago.

Compact flash won't appear ,. I do get a pop up from my antivirus asking to scan a new connected drive which I do without any issue. I just can't see or access it anymore.

Any ideas welcome?

Cobra_Head 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Formatted with a format windows can't read?

It's corrupted, put it back where it came from and see if it still reads.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Formatted with a format windows can't read?

> It's corrupted, put it back where it came from and see if it still reads.

It reads fine in a music production system and not in Windows.

It's only just started doing it.  I use it to transfer samples into a drum machine.

BruceM 05 Aug 2020

- I would be testing it on other computer systems to try and eliminate issues.  Compact Flash (CF) is quite old as you know so that might be hard.  If it is a stand alone USB external card reader you could plug that into another pc.

- Guess you have tried another card if you had one?

- If it is just a temporary transfer CF, then I guess you could try reformatting it in the Roland/Boss device or whatever you're using -- to confirm it isn't corrupted in some way (even if that device can still read it).  Or is it possible to reformat it in Windows (somehow), if the music device can understand that. (I've only ever used CF in a Boss BR864 multitrack ~2005, which I thought required first formatting in the Boss device.  Maybe only to create certain directories/files though.)

- If I didn't have another PC to test the card reader/card in another machine, I would probably boot up my current machine to a Linux distribution via DVD/USB stick and see if I could read the card via that.  That is a wee bit technical though.  I am always dual boot Windows/Linux so that is easy for me.

That isn't much, and I'm sure you have thought of all that.  But that's what I would do first.  Good luck.

In reply to BruceM:

Thanks.  It's given me a idea to try.

Michael Hood 05 Aug 2020

That big update is a PITA, tells me I'm not connected whilst I'm happily downloading.

Has (once again) updated my (non-subscription one-off payment) Office 2016 to 365 - no doubt it'll reverse that at some future update - at least this time I know not to use the extra features that will then disappear!

Microsoft - things that make you go hmmm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...