Wildlife today - kingfisher!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 06 Jan 2021

Started off well with a sparrowhawk whooshing past in the early morning light. Then I went to try and see some Roe Deer. They were there, a long way off. What is cool is I’m about 95% certain that these two are the same two I photoed last summer when they were a lot smaller. Look healthy. Headed down to the canal and the River Douglas. It was once heavily polluted - so this male Goosander was great to see. 

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Canal was well frozen but came across a clear patch. Next thing, heard the high pitched ‘pipe’ of a kingfisher. Truly amazing birds. It perched on the wall next to the sluice gates, in full sun. Bloody brilliant!  At one point it flew, hovered for a few seconds and went back to its perch. I was .5 second off a mega shot. 

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Plenty of mallards looking great. And then, as I was watching some goldfinches, a male sparrowhawk flew low across the canal and into the bush !  Stunning view. And then a kestrel appeared and sat on a branch. And a buzzard started mewing. 

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Redwings showing well, few pairs of bullfinch, gs woodpecker. 

Andy Hardy 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

A halcyon day!

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sure was. Weather has been totally ace. 

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Dog

Bobling 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Great photos and passion.  I am a little bit weird about Kingfishers - I see them reasonably frequently but look for them all the time, they feature in my dreams on a regular basis.  They are such electrifying birds to see : )

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Mallard

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Moorhen. 

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Yup, electrifying is a good word. Got a close up but it’s back was facing me, which was quite cool in a way. Will post it sometime. 

nikoid 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Belter. Not only did you see a kingie, you got a great picture!  It always makes your day when you see one. 

Ceiriog Chris 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Bobling:

- I see them reasonably frequently 

I've only ever seen 2 here in NE wales, and both times they were just fly pasts down the river

In reply to mick taylor:

Great photographs Mick. It’s a lot different to the Wigan that I remember when I worked there!

Chris

Post edited at 18:55
 Bobling 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

Last time I saw one was by Bristol Temple Meads Station on the River Avon on the one time I got the train to work this year.  I've walked that route a thousand times and never seen one - coincidence or a result of the lockdowns?  

Dr.S at work 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Magical to see them in the urban environment

squarepeg 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Just had long tailed tits in the garden. 

aln 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

I don't know if you visit Morton Loch or the Eden estuary hides when you're in Fife? Kingfishers are being spotted there regularly. If you're on FB there's a good Fife wildlife page with excellent photos. 

Michael Hood 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Where do you go for these walks, I'm jealous 😭

Graeme G 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

How do you post photos into a thread? 

Phil1919 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

I was just making a cup of tea and looking out over our back garden and caught sight of a spotted woodpecker. First I've seen in the 7 years we've lived here.

I'm always amazed how kingfishers can keep such a low profile considering they are so bright. 

Michael Hood 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

I usually hear G spotted woodpeckers first, they make a distinctive metallic "chink" sound. Once you recognise it, you may find they're around more than you realise.

Kingfishers - you'd think that the orange front would be highly visible - not so when there's a dull colour or an earth bank behind. Even the bright blue gets camouflaged more than you'd think by dappled sunlight and reflections off water. I haven't seen one in the UK for yonks, but then I've probably not been in the right places.

Once it's late spring, if Covid is far enough on the decrease, then I'm going to start stalking Mick on his morning walks 😎

mick taylor 07 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

Used to visit them tonnes before this bloody virus. I’ve been  to the Eden hide that much  that the locals that opened etc started to know me. Watched an Osprey catch a huge flounder there. And once watched a small groups of avocets. And peregrines from the paper mill. And Morton is a total gem. My daughters favourite. But let’s keep it quiet....

mick taylor 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

It’s a benefit of paying a subscribers fee (a bargain at £?) ((mods - free membership for the punt?))

mick taylor 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

You’re welcome anytime. But no guarantees

Graeme G 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Aaah....ta 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...