Wildlife help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 05 Jan 2022

Was trying to photo this kestrel hunting, but before my camera was sorted it had pounced behind a hut and flown onto this post with its catch. But what is it?  I’m rarely stumped, but I ain’t got a clue. 

Post edited at 13:58

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Marsh harriers. 

Michael Hood 05 Jan 2022

Are you 100% sure that it's actually an animal and not some animal coloured bit of rag that it's picked up by mistake. It's just glaring at you to stop you realising 😁

veteye 05 Jan 2022

> Marsh harriers. 

I have never seen a Harrier of any sort (apart from the sort which followed the initial P1127), as far as I am aware. Where are your images from?

65 06 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

> I have never seen a Harrier of any sort (apart from the sort which followed the initial P1127), as far as I am aware. Where are your images from?

I've seen marsh harriers near Kirriemuir.

In reply to veteye:

Martin mere, near Burscough in Lancashire 

DerwentDiluted 06 Jan 2022

Looks like it has an orange brown coat.

Oh my god... they killed Kenny!

In reply to Michael Hood:

It’s an odd one. With such mega eyesight I’d be surprised if they make mistakes like this. But it has fur not feathers, colour of nothing I can think of apart from red squirrel , so I’m thinking rag as well. 

Michael Hood 06 Jan 2022

It's also weasel (as opposed to stoat) colour - 2 buts:

• Can't see any white (the underneath bit)
  • Kestrel taking on a weasel - hmm, not so sure about that unless it was half-dead already
 Michael Hood 06 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Several places in Lancashire, and several on the east cost (Norfolk/Suffolk). But the most "famous" nationally is the RSPB reserve at Minsmere - just up the road from Sizewell B nuclear power station.

Could it be the pelt of something either dead or dying, or the part remains thereof? 

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Possibly, and stoat/weasel or rag from a farmer are the only things I can think of. 

The mention of hut and the manure drag rake seen in the photo though made me think off at a tangent to other possibilities like, say, if it’s a remote non public area the remains of deers from small scale processing awaiting disposal!

deepsoup 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Somewhere less remote, maybe it's scavenged a scrap of road kill.  Rabbit maybe?

In reply to deepsoup:

Yup, I wouldn’t rule out a kestrel taking road kill or other remains which I believe normal occasionally for them; esp if winter has been hard for feeding. Rabbit or even hare depending on location it could well be.

Michael Hood 06 Jan 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> ...a scrap of road kill...

Certainly looks a weeny bit flat

aln 07 Jan 2022

Birds can be stoopid.... lying in my bed with lurgy for days I've been watching the local burds. A Jackdaw on the roof directly opposite was maniacally pecking at something it had in it's claws. Other Jackdaws became interested, a magpie got involved for a while. We're close to the sea, It has to be a mussel or something similar. I got the bins out and had a look. It was a stone. 

In reply to aln:

>. I got the bins out and had a look. It was a stone. 

Perhaps they thought it was a rock bun…

aln 07 Jan 2022

Well done 😁 But seriously, what was it up to? The other birds around seemed to realise and gave up. This idiot kept hammering away. And I always thought the Corvus' were smart!

J101 07 Jan 2022

Looks like a bit of Doner kebab meat.

Stranger things have happened.

In reply to aln:

Was it using it as a tool to say crack open a mussel?  Or as you say, just a bit thick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...