Wildlife anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 14 Nov 2021

Started off with great views of a heron catching a flounder, then long range views of rafts of common scoter. Turnstone, redshank and osyertatchers and a purple sandpiper. Rock pipet and an odd view of a cormorant drying it’s wings. Went off to Pittenweem in the hope of dolphins, but no joy. Watched three skeins of pink feet merge into one and go all chaotic coz paragliders (with engines) disrupted them. Didn’t look like the geese where phased out, but disrupted their flight. Great views of eider and shags. And the sun appeared over the Pentlands. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

From the phone. Those are grey clouds in the evening sunlight at Pittenweem, not blue sky!

Mark Collins 14 Nov 2021

Nice one.

I've been enjoying seeing a Barn owl hunting on my morning run for the last week or so. I don't see many around here.

subtle 14 Nov 2021

Nice - although I did fear that your post was going to be about those pesky Fifers - they can be a tad challenging

In reply to Mark Collins:

Cool. Always I impressed by how long their wings are. Struggle to take photos of barn owls with my snazzy camera.  Slow shutter speed to let in enough light, but that means a bit blurry. 

yorkshireman 15 Nov 2021

A neighbour came round to say to say that a deer carcass had been found in our back garden (heavily forested with nothing but mountain beyond) and that the local hunt guardian was pretty sure it was a wolf kill (we're in the French Alps).

My dog had found a leg separated from the main carcass the day before. Interested to see what might scavenge the carcass I set up my camera trap for few days and captured this (large) family of boar feeding together. The camera position wasn't perfect though. 

youtube.com/watch?v=RhPQgi1ot3Y&

The next morning walking the dogs I even saw a boar (heard it first) running away through the trees (I was deliberately making a lot of noise and the dogs had smelled it). I'd much rather encounter a wolf to be honest then wild boar (especially one with young) but these were the first ones I'd seen (apart from an enormous one I nearly run over at 2am) in 10 years of living in the Alps. 

In reply to yorkshireman:

Incredible. That big one is massive. 

Harry Jarvis 15 Nov 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

> The next morning walking the dogs I even saw a boar (heard it first) running away through the trees (I was deliberately making a lot of noise and the dogs had smelled it). I'd much rather encounter a wolf to be honest then wild boar (especially one with young) but these were the first ones I'd seen (apart from an enormous one I nearly run over at 2am) in 10 years of living in the Alps. 

That's rather more impressive than my wildlife encounter yesterday, which was a stoat chasing a rabbit. It looked a rather half-hearted chase, and once they'd crossed the track in front of me, I didn't hear any squealing, so I assume the rabbit made a successful escape. 

The other notable piece of wildlife was a charm of twittering goldfinches, which always lifts my heart. 

Darron 15 Nov 2021

Reading a bird report yesterday - a Golden Eagle flew over Alderley Edge in October!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...