Wildlife and fungi ID

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 28 Dec 2021

Was kept awake by a tawny owl the other night. Cracking view silhouetted on a neighbours roof. Yesterday morning, parked up at the train station and noticed pigeons going crazy - and then saw the peregrine.  Good views. Then a large flock of long tailed tits in garden feeders. Loads of redwings about - must have been a flock of over 200 the other day.
Photos: Witches butter and another.  Any ideas?

Godwin 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

No idea.
However the other day I saw some fungi, and using the google search on my phone, it search as it too the photo. All clever stuff.
But, the only question I have about Fungi is "can I eat it safely".
Is the google image search reliable enough for this?

Tringa 28 Dec 2021

Tawny owl, peregrine, long tailed tits and redwings - all excellent sightings.

I don't know about the second fungus but I agree about the first.

Dave

Doug 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

> Is the google image search reliable enough for this?

Don't know about the fungi section but the plant identifications are not reliable

In reply to Steve 

> But, the only question I have about Fungi is "can I eat it safely".

100% no. Fungi vary so much with age, how wet it’s been etc. There are some that I’m OK with: wood ears (nothing else looks like them), shaggy ink caps (nothing else really looks like them, esp when young, bit slimy texture but tasty enough) horse mushroom and field mushroom (easy to check for the dodgey yellow stainer which looks similar). If I could find ceps and chanterelles then I’d eat those also. 

Tringa 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

> But, the only question I have about Fungi is "can I eat it safely".

If you want to get into edible fungi then a good guide, ie a book but probably even better is a course with a group or someone who knows their stuff.

There is a saying about collecting fungi to eat.

Any you collect should be divided into three portions.

The first is for you, the second is for the doctor and the third is for the coroner.

It is all too easy to make a mistake with tragic consequences, eg -

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/nicholas-evans-poiso...

Dave

In reply to Tringa:

I’m planning a proper birding trip, but the weather is a bit naff, way to slip into lazy-ness. 

Dan Arkle 28 Dec 2021

Mushrooms are butter caps 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks. 

Just back from a gander. Good views of Goosander, gadwall , shoveler and tree creeper at Mere Sands Wood. Then popped over to walk around part of the edge of Martin Mere - little Egret, a swish of a Merlin and distance view of a marsh harrier. Excellent views of kestrels along the roadsides, and hundreds of pink feet in a field. 

squarepeg 28 Dec 2021

Can't match this but couple of days ago round the local nature reserve saw a little (?) egret. 

BusyLizzie 28 Dec 2021

Nothing but bloomin' red kites here in the Chilterns.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...