Wild Cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 11 Jul 2020

It's a thing. There are books!

What next - Wild Climbing? Wild Birdwatching?

Swirly 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

we used to just call it cycling.

wintertree 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Wild Walking and Wild Pissing.  Natural companions to Wild Boozing.

In reply to Philip:

Wild neophobia.  Old men stand outside reading aloud definitions of new words, or new uses for old words, until one of them expires through outrage. 

bigbobbyking 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

See also 'wild swimming'

Billhook 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

I think it means cycling in places you are not normally allowed to be riding.  

Footpaths, private land, that sort of thing.

Bacon Butty 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

I've committed self abuse in my tent several times in the past, had I invented Wild Wanking?

wilkie14c 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

I recon so but if more that one participant then it’s just dogging isn’t it?

Lankyman 11 Jul 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I recon so but if more that one participant then it’s just dogging isn’t it?

I reckon you need a wild spell checker?

wercat 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Wild Kimming?

Lankyman 11 Jul 2020
In reply to wercat:

> Wild Kimming?

Or Wilde Kimming as it was known in olden days.

OP Philip 11 Jul 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I recon so but if more that one participant then it’s just dogging isn’t it?

Not sure, maybe Wild Dogging? Or is that Dingo-ing

OP Philip 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Wild neophobia.  Old men stand outside reading aloud definitions of new words, or new uses for old words, until one of them expires through outrage. 

But this is neither a new word nor a new use for an old word. 

I suspect it goes with the rise in "Gravel bikes" which are basically 90s mountain bikes in modern materials.

bouldery bits 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

> I suspect it goes with the rise in "Gravel bikes" which are basically 90s mountain bikes in modern materials.

My Gravel bike is a 90's Mountain bike.

'94 Marin Bear Valley SE with drop bars if you wanted to know. Which you didn't. Because you're not a dork. 

Robert Durran 11 Jul 2020

> Wild neophobia.  Old men stand outside reading aloud definitions of new words, or new uses for old words, until one of them expires through outrage. 

Isn't that we always used to just call neophobia. FFS........

felt 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Wild rewilding. Not rewilding the tamed bits of nature; rewilding the already wild bits, but making them twice as wild. 

Lankyman 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

If you're welding outdoors then you may well want to subscribe to the new journal

Wild Welder's World?

In reply to Lankyman:

What is your were wielding a welder somewhere wild?

Wild welder wielding world is the trade magazine.  

Myfyr Tomos 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Wanton or furious cycling is an offence, since 1861 apparently. Is this something similar?

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I occasionally do furious cycling. 

mick taylor 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

You clearly know jackall about this sort of stuff. 

mick taylor 11 Jul 2020

> I've committed self abuse in my tent several times in the past, had I invented Wild Wanking?

Dont you find it annoys your climbing partner though?  Does with me, they never get used to it. 

Shaunhaynes99 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

This  has become my favourite  tread by far.

Post edited at 22:27
 climbingbadger 11 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

> Wild rewilding. Not rewilding the tamed bits of nature; rewilding the already wild bits, but making them twice as wild. 

I wanted to get in to that last year, but the staff at the zoo kept getting upset with me when I tried to borrow their lion…

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

It is, in fact I think it is what speeding is classed as because the road speed limits are only applicable to motorised vehicles.

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to wercat:

Wilde Oscaring?

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

A number of irresponsible BBQers on the moorlands have invented Wild Firing...

...or is that when your boss takes you outside and sacks you !?

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020

> I've committed self abuse in my tent several times in the past, had I invented Wild Wanking?

Actually, Wild Wanking was invented by Gene Wilder in the film Willy Wanker!!!!!!!!

and on that hilarious note, I will get my lunch. 

McHeath 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

The famous King Ludwig II of Bavaria - builder of Schloss Neuschwanstein, important patron of Wagner, of widely researched undefinable sexuality and commonly referred to as "the mad" - is probably the best example of a Wild Bi King. 

DaveHK 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Believe it or not I have just returned from a gravel, bike packing micro adventure. Or a cycle tour if you prefer.

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to McHeath:

Talking of Vikings, worth mentioning England’s Viking King ‘Cnut the Great’.  Rumour has it folk called him The Great Cnut, coz it was funnier. I’ve heard his dad was called Tawt, his mum Cokc.  

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to McHeath:

And whilst most Viking’s loved a bit of Wild Wanking, one of their famous leaders found it hard (or soft, depending on your view): ‘Ivan the Boneless’.

He really existed.  They had great names back in them days. 

In reply to Philip:

Staring at a broken pane in our greenhouse. I am pretty sure that I recall a "wild bouldering" guide in recent years. 

A long walk with an uncomfortable rucksack for 5 moves whilst staring at Esk Buttress. 

Remember, you mustn't use a bouldering mat, you need to buy the specific wild mat, use the wild chalk,wear the wild shoes. 

Post edited at 15:00
 DaveHK 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Remember, you mustn't use a bouldering mat, you need to buy the specific wild mat, use the wild chalk,wear the wild shoes. 

Yea, even unto the wild beanie*. So sayeth the marketing man.

* Not to be confused with the wild bean cafe which is, sadly, a thing.

wercat 12 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I think we did a bit of wild firing with 25 pounders on the Warcop and Otterburn ranges in the mid 70s!   Radar fuzed airburst iirc.

Lankyman 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

> It's a thing. There are books!

> What next - Wild Climbing? Wild Birdwatching?

If Lou Reed was still about he could have brought out a guidebook of his favourite hikes: Taking a Walk on the Wild Side.

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Cnut The Great started a company making gear like tents and other stuff for this type of thing: Wild Cnutry I believe it was called

McHeath 12 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

That's them... based in Scnuthorpe I think.

Edit: didn't they invent curved cnuts? 

Post edited at 17:19
mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Rumour has it that Wilde KIMM lent her name to a once famous Mountain Marathon. It was as wild as f*ck back in the day, people bingeing on mint cake and stuffing red socks in their mouths to deaden the sounds of pain and pleasure.  

Post edited at 17:51
mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to McHeath:

Correct. Cnut the Great seat sail from some place in Norway and landed in Scnuthorpe - the sea was much farther in-land back then.  Rumour has it he was in the band Primal Scream and wrote ‘Get Your Rocks Off’, and then invented the now famous wired cnut. 

Edit: The word ‘Thorpe’ in Old Norse actually means ‘soon to be farther from the sea’, that’s why he named it. They were more cleverer than folk think. 

Post edited at 18:49
mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to McHeath:

I was reading a book by the lovable racist historian Chris Sharma or whatever he’s called. He describes how;

‘....and after inventing the curved cnut, the First Viking King of England ‘Cnut the Great’ celebrated by sacrificing a mammoth (cows hadn’t been invented) by slitting it’s throat and draining it’s blood.  That’s why when he died he went to Valhalal.......’

wercat 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

go green - Wild Re-cycling

RX-78 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

Well I have come back from a few days of wild walking in Northumberland and now that I am back in London I went for an edgy urban walk through Peckham the other evening, and did some urban cycling as well!

OP Philip 14 Jul 2020
In reply to RX-78:

I think you're on to something there. Right now Urban Swimming is certainly a more risky idea than Wild Swimming.

wercat 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

What about being an urban backwoodsman?

In reply to DaveHK:

> Yea, even unto the wild beanie*. So sayeth the marketing man.

And for an extra £50 it comes with the essential wild no shirt. 

Dom Connaway 20 Jul 2020

Yes, but 'gravel bikes'; aaarghhhh!

mondite 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Dom Connaway:

> Yes, but 'gravel bikes'; aaarghhhh!

It would be a bit of a mouthful to say "early 90s mountain bike with drop bars" and might not persuade people to spend that extra thousand.

OP Philip 20 Jul 2020
In reply to mondite:

> It would be a bit of a mouthful to say "early 90s mountain bike with drop bars" and might not persuade people to spend that extra thousand.

I saw one with an upgrade to flat bars. Not seen one with Purple and Green paint job.

Pete Pozman 21 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> And whilst most Viking’s loved a bit of Wild Wanking, one of their famous leaders found it hard (or soft, depending on your view): ‘Ivan the Boneless’.

> He really existed.  They had great names back in them days. 

Who has never heard of Ivar the Boneless? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...