Why we stay here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 25 Mar 2021

I must admit, I had drifted away from here due to all the bickering, and the fact I hadn’t been climbing much recently, however I did always like the broad info base on here so when looking for recommendation for a waterproof camera I thought of here and found this 

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/photography/which_waterprooftough_camera-...

Due to this I have now ordered a camera, much better to get reviews here than those “impartial” ones on Amazon etc

mondite 25 Mar 2021
In reply to subtle:

Did you get a TG series?

I have had two. TG5 which took a swim white water paddling when I had been a muppet and not sealed it up properly and now a TG6 which despite a few swims is fine.

It still loses out to an ancient s90 for general carry use and a 7d for when I want to be weighed down but for pure durablity is worth it just make sure you click all the slides when switching batteries/cards.

OP subtle 25 Mar 2021
In reply to mondite:

Yes, went for a TG6- to be used for ww kayaking, sup’ing, winter climbing and playing about at the beach in general - needed a waterproof camera that would stand general wear and tear - the impartial advice on here backed up my thoughts so influenced my decision 

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2021
In reply to subtle:

the information base here is very useful indeed. when I look back on the advice and recommendations I've had, on all sorts of diverse things, it is indeed a very good use of The Internet. 

Interestingly, the notion of the "echo chamber" has been (ha!) echoing around here - somewhat pejoratively, which is inherent to the term I guess - increasingly of late, mostly regarding politics.

However, in examples like yours, an echo chamber is actually a positive thing. Like-minded people who want the same thing. That narrowed down your choice. It's been the same for me on all sorts of things. Brand of record player. Choice of car. Are Decathlon's own-brand bikes still quite good? etc. etc. It's worth sticking around, just for that sort of thing. 

In reply to subtle:

Pleased that you found the advice/review. One of my neighbours "job" is reviewing products for Amazon. Simply is involves bigging up the plus points and minimising the down sides. It's all about keeping the product high up in the Google search results. He who pays the Piper calls the tune. Don't ever buy something on the strength of an Amazon review!

wercat 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

sounds like a fraudulent income

balmybaldwin 26 Mar 2021
In reply to wercat:

It is. It's really annoying too. There are good products out there, but also a lot of crap.  Bought a dog "rope" lead the other day  what turned up is about the gauge of prussic cord

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...