Why is everyone a victim?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Feb 2020

... and what's more, seem to be proud of the fact?

Half the thrust of Brexit seemed to be that we were being imposed upon; people are 'victims' because they choose to gamble or shop too much; as soon as a relationship goes south one party (or both) become 'victims',

There are victims in this world, who genuinely are in bad places they had no way of avoiding. Let's stop using the same word for a Syrian orphan in a Syrian hospital from a dumped 19 year old - or middle class couples being charged for the use of email.

MonkeyPuzzle 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Words aren't binary and there are degrees of which someone can be hard done by. I find adjectives are useful for this.

Andy Hardy 22 Feb 2020

Are you blaming the victims? For shame!

Ceiriog Chris 22 Feb 2020

I feel like I am a victim this morning as I have run out of Columbian  coffee, having to make do with Ethiopian !

Yanis Nayu 22 Feb 2020

I think it’s being replaced with ‘survivors’. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What get's me is all these Mail and Express readers who seem to relish their victimhood... 'I was a victims of a scam' ... No you weren't you were greedy and ignorant and got caught out. 'We're victims of a postcode lottery'. No you're not, you just happen to live somewhere where other people's priorities aren't quite the same as yours.

The crusader on the Express masthead really needs a hanky to be snuffling into.

marsbar 22 Feb 2020

Why would you read either of those?!

Timmd 22 Feb 2020

When it's to do with medical care which can be lifesaving sometimes, being 'a victim of a post code lottery' if being denied certain care seems like it might be apt to me, if one isn't able to plan ahead to live within a certain area because a certain kind of medical treatment will be needed?

Post edited at 14:39
In reply to marsbar:

Know your enemy. And I never pay for copies.

Timmd 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: A friend has liked The Sun on facebook with the same philosophy. 

I simply dread the victimhood the Brexiters will spout once (as seems quite likely) the Brexit project goes pear-shaped.

Stichtplate 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> When it's to do with medical care which can be lifesaving sometimes, being 'a victim of a post code lottery' if being denied certain care seems like it might be apt to me, if one isn't able to plan ahead to live within a certain area because a certain kind of medical treatment will be needed?

I see your point but as far as free healthcare goes, simply living in the U.K. means you’ve already won that particular lottery.

In reply to paul mitchell:

Yes, yes, yes.

Timmd 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> I see your point but as far as free healthcare goes, simply living in the U.K. means you’ve already won that particular lottery.

Of course, but that's not an argument against not having the post code lottery situation, things would never improve in society if that kind of logic was used for everything.

Say, if domestic violence deaths aren't as high in the UK as in some other countries, that doesn't make the rate we have something to be comfortable with, or rates of male suicide, whatever it is.

The aim for improvement is what's kept us moving forwards...

Post edited at 18:11
 Stichtplate 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Of course, but that's not an argument against not having the post code lottery situation, 

No, but getting back to the point of the thread, it is an argument against categorising yourself as a 'victim' when 99% of people are in a worse situation as far as free healthcare goes.

Timmd 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Stichtplate: As far as the person in the correct postcode for the needed treatment, one is comparatively worse off though, if unable to access it, which is understandably what somebody in the wrong postcode is thinking about. 

I'm not saying I don't see what you mean, I'm saying that the people in the wrong postcodes aren't 'wrong' to see themselves as a victim of circumstances - because in that aspect they are. Both perspectives are true and exist along side one another.

Post edited at 18:48
 Stichtplate 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> As far as the person in the correct postcode for the needed treatment, one is comparatively worse off though, if unable to access it, which is understandably what somebody in the wrong postcode is thinking about. 

> I'm not saying I don't see what you mean, I'm saying that the people in the wrong postcodes aren't 'wrong' to see themselves as a victim of circumstances - because in that aspect they are. Both perspectives are true and exist along side one another.

And I'm saying that if you can stand back from the parochial bubble and see things in Global terms, characterising yourself as a victim of a healthcare postcode lottery is rather like a Ferrari driver claiming to be hard done by because his next door neighbour has a Bugatti on the drive.

Dax H 22 Feb 2020

> ... and what's more, seem to be proud of the fact?

> people are 'victims' because they choose to gamble or shop too much; as soon as a relationship goes south one party (or both) become 'victims',

Why take responsibility for your actions when you can claim that society forced you to act that way. 

MG 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Victim is far too strong and loaded a word for variations in healthcare provision. 

Timmd 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> And I'm saying that if you can stand back from the parochial bubble and see things in Global terms, characterising yourself as a victim of a healthcare postcode lottery is rather like a Ferrari driver claiming to be hard done by because his next door neighbour has a Bugatti on the drive.

It seems like we're going to have to agree to disagree.  

When it comes to personal health, I don't think it's either parochial or at all like a having a nice car and wanting a nicer one, because one's health is so fundamental to how well one lives.

Post edited at 19:43
 Stichtplate 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> It seems like we're going to have to agree to disagree.  

> When it comes to personal health, I don't think it's either parochial or at all like a having a nice car and wanting a nicer one, because one's health is so fundamental to how well one lives.

Your local NHS trust has a limited amount of cash to spend and very specific populations to service. If the area you live in happens to be a retirement hotspot and consequently the local trust has chosen to allocate more cash to hip replacements at the cost of multiple rounds of IVF, then the childless couple could well see themselves as 'victims'.

As the OP has pointed out, it seems the people are increasingly prone to viewing themselves as victims. It's more realistic to note that 99% of the worlds population would have zero chance of free treatment, and people might be better served thanking their lucky stars for all the free health care that they do have access to, rather than concentrating very few things that are denied them.

Post edited at 20:05
 Dr.S at work 22 Feb 2020

This is a wider problem than just 'victim'.

we increasingly use more extreme words.

"today the x admitted y"

instead of

"today x stated y"

is my favourite bugbear - if we and the media adopted less OTT language then things would appear moderately better.

Timmd 23 Feb 2020
In reply to MG:

> Victim is far too strong and loaded a word for variations in healthcare provision. 

When it comes to differences in the rates of cancer survival, I think it's a fairly close to accurate word, if pondering one's mortality.

There's no sense in which I'm applying blame to the NHS, though, which seems to be a possible misinterpretation...

Post edited at 03:44
 Mike Peacock 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

There was a paper in Science a few years back sort of along these lines, which makes for interesting reading. Basically, the premise is that as events start to become less frequent, people broaden their definitions so they perceive these events to keep happening.

"As it turns out, abstract concepts can creep, too. For example, in 1960, Webster’s dictionary defined “aggression” as “an unprovoked attack or invasion,” but today that concept can include behaviors such as making insufficient eye contact or asking people where they are from. Many other concepts, such as abuse, bullying, mental disorder, trauma, addiction, and prejudice, have expanded of late as well. Some take these expansions as signs of political correctness and others as signs of social awakening. We take no position on whether these expansions are good or bad. Rather, we seek to understand what makes them happen. Why do concepts creep?"

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...