Who Is Liable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrsBuggins 04 Jul 2019

Last year we bought a new dishwasher from Currys who installed it. The two year guarantee is with the manufacturer - Bosch.

This morning we found that a pipe to or from the washer has been leaking. This has resulted in a saturated in the adjacent dining room.

Anyone know if we can pursue Currys(as agents for Bosch) for compensation as this might have been caused by faulty installation

Thanks

Darron 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Surely your contract is with Curry’s and they are liable?

OP MrsBuggins 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Darron:

That's what I though.

Thanks

Post edited at 19:22
 neilh 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

See what it says in the contract first. 

Andy Hardy 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

If the fault is outside the dishwasher, then it's a dud installation and I doubt Bosch will entertain a claim. If Curries installed it, they're liable.

balmybaldwin 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

I think you'd have a hard time claiming a year after installation. Presumably you've only just noticed it and don't know if the leak has been there since installation or has developed since. Do you know exactly where the leak is?

May be less stressful to claim from your household insurance if you have any.

marsbar 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

If it's leaking a year after installation then that isn't likely to be due to a fault.  

Give it a try with currys but I doubt you will get anywhere.  

The manufacturer isn't in anyway liable for your plumbing.  

DancingOnRock 04 Jul 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Well yes. Claim on your household insurance and let them worry about who is liable. 

Personally I’d say the person who fitted it was liable but you really should be periodically inspecting hoses and drains for leaks.  

Sir Chasm 04 Jul 2019
In reply to mypyrex:

I think your first step is to identify where the leak is.

wintertree 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> I think your first step is to identify where the leak is.

Quite.  “To or from” doesn’t inspire confidence in me that the OP even knows it the leak is from the appliance’s hoses or if it’s from the property’s supply or drain pipes.

Can’t say I’d ever let anyone associated with Currys near my household plumbing.

birdie num num 04 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Take it on the chin. Be public spirited. Keep our premiums down.

Wiley Coyote2 04 Jul 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

>  you really should be periodically inspecting hoses and drains for leaks.  

How are you supposed to do that with a fitted dishwasher? Mine is built into the kitchen units and utterly impossible to check

Post edited at 23:42
 DancingOnRock 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

The kickboards should just pull off. Look under the sink you’ll be able to see the sink drain and probably where the dishwasher waste and washing machine waste are connected. Look behind the kickboards and underneath everything with a torch for any sign of leaks, watermarks, or damp patches etc. 

Timmd 05 Jul 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

> Take it on the chin. Be public spirited. Keep our premiums down.

Are you offering to contribute to the OP's costs?

FactorXXX 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

This might be of help:

youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc&

WillRawlinson 05 Jul 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

Having been a passenger on these forums for a decade now, I have to conclude that everything you post is golden.

MG 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Replace hose. Wait for things to dry. Cost: 3.99, less stress, no rejection of spurious "compensation" claim. 

gethin_allen 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

I know someone who had a dishwasher installed incorrectly by Currys resulting in a leak which was first identified when the laminate flooring started swelling.

After some hassle she managed to get them to replace the kitchen floor. But this was a few months not a year after fitting so I'm not sure how they would deal with a longer term claim.

La benya 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Your contract is with the retailer for faulty goods. Your home insurance will pay out for any damage. If they decide to subrogate then that’s for them to decide. Just don’t tell them that you installed it....

profitofdoom 05 Jul 2019
In reply to La benya:

> Your contract is with the retailer for faulty goods. Your home insurance will pay out for any damage...

And if they don't pay up, phuckeu, just phone them up and say:

"Phuckeu"

OP MrsBuggins 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MG:

> Replace hose. Wait for things to dry. Cost: 3.99, less stress, no rejection of spurious "compensation" claim. 

So should I completely ignore the ruined carpet - cost circa £500?

DancingOnRock 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Do you have insurance for accidents? If not I’d get it. I very much doubt you’ll get anywhere with a giant like Curry’s and even less with Bosch. 

Whirlpool have allegedly been selling dodgy tumble driers with a known fault that catch fire...

Post edited at 20:07
OP MrsBuggins 05 Jul 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Do you have insurance for accidents?

You do realise how insurance companies operate? My excess is £350(compulsory) so at best they'll pay me £150 and then sting me with a higher premium.

DancingOnRock 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Well yes. That’s the risk you have taken on. You’re prepared to lose £350 in any accident. It keeps your premium down and prevents you making spurious claims. 

I don’t think house insurance has no claims bonus so doubt it’ll increase the premium like a cars would. 

In reply to MrsBuggins:

If Currys installed a pipe that leaked and damaged your home, assuming the dishwasher didn't shift and damage the pipe etc, I'd say less than a year to failure is improper installation and Currys should have something to answer for.

wintertree 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

> So should I completely ignore the ruined carpet - cost circa £500?

Since when did a bit of water ruin a carpet?  

Run a wet vac over it until water stops coming off, turn the heating up and stick a couple of portable dehumidifiers in there.

Me, I’d be more worried about how much water has go in to and up the fabric of the walls, and what that’s doing to any structural timbers etc.  Probably chasing out all the other water that makes its way up the porous formerly lime-rich sandstone matrix...

Rob Parsons 05 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

> Anyone know if we can pursue Currys(as agents for Bosch) for compensation as this might have been caused by faulty installation

You remind me of an old poster here called 'Andy Morley'. Are you him?

Anyway, to your direct question: speaking as a barrack room lawyer, yes, you have an direct and unassailable case against both Currys and Bosch. Go get 'em.

(No charge for that advice. This time, it's on the house!)

Rob Exile Ward 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

Sh*t happens. Get over it.

timjones 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

If a £500 carpet has been ruined by a bit of water It might be better to pursue the carpet supplier.

krikoman 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

> You do realise how insurance companies operate? My excess is £350(compulsory) so at best they'll pay me £150 and then sting me with a higher premium.

Tell them your wife's mink coat got ruined too, and find a dead cat skin for proof, you'll be quids in.

MG 06 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

It isn't ruined. You hadn't even noticed for a period. . At worst a  area of staining 

marsbar 07 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

There are a number of professional companies who will give your carpet a good clean and it will probably fine.  

Or you can hire a machine and do it yourself. 

petermartinez 08 Jul 2019
In reply to MrsBuggins:

If this damage was done during guarantee period then it is their duty to fix it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...