Which (kitchen) mandolin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Moacs 02 May 2022

Tired of thin-slicing with a kitchen knife.

Probably going to be tired of Corelli puns soon too.  But don't fret - if you string me along, I'll ask Alan to Ban-jo you.

Any recommendations?  Ideally something quite durable (or even resharpenable; just imagine).

Edit:  I'm an idiot; it's a mandoline; I didn't know that

Post edited at 18:26
 Ciro 02 May 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Bron D454

OP Moacs 02 May 2022
In reply to Ciro:

I hear what you're saying...but £250 (ok, only £200 if I don't want the finger guard) seems a lot for nice cucumber.

robert-hutton 02 May 2022
In reply to Ciro:

The expensive ones generally have better blades that takes a straight cut from your thumb, cheeper ones generally cut deeper as you use more force, you might say I will always use the guard but to get last slice you will always try without.

In reply to Moacs:

Just cut the end off your thumb with your current knife and block the back of a cupboard with an empty cardboard box. Much cheaper.

snoop6060 02 May 2022
In reply to Moacs:

The finger guards are pointless and annoying anyway. You end up removing them to do the last bit if you need to which defeats the purpose as that’s the bit that’d you cut yourself anyway. Just be careful, seems to work for me. 

I have a benriner that’s great. Think it was £85, bit pricey but I love it. 

Bob Aitken 02 May 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

I'm a mandoline wimp.  After several small fingertip-trimming experiences I've found a cut-resistant glove a worthwhile investment.

OP Moacs 02 May 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

> I'm a mandoline wimp.  After several small fingertip-trimming experiences I've found a cut-resistant glove a worthwhile investment.

Ha!  Full chainmail suit.  Might dull the blade though?

snoop6060 02 May 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

I have actually considered one of those. But mainly for my dremel which I have a terrible track record with! 

mike123 02 May 2022
In reply to Moacs: the chap behind the counter at one of the buildings suppliers I frequent was bought one by his missus recently . He has spent the last month with huge comedy bandages around each finger of one hand .  I think he would say none at all .

Niall_H 02 May 2022
In reply to Moacs:

No Captain Corelli, but I do have the voice of Vivian Stanshall, from _Tubular Bells, part 1_ as an earworm now

Jamie Wakeham 02 May 2022
In reply to Moacs:

We've got the Oxo / GoodGrips one, and it's decent enough.  It can struggle a bit with tougher things like celeriac.  TBH the food processor does almost as good a job so unless I need really delicate results (like for a remoulade) I tend to cheat and just use that.

When it does come out, is is basically the law that someone has to intone 'Man-do-LIN' as per Niall's suggestion.

Bob Kemp 02 May 2022

in reply to: Jamie Wakeham

Had one of these - good design and worked well but it proved fragile - broke after a year or so. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...