Where to buy a few bolts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I need to protect myself on some dodgy work I'm doing on my house exterior. I stupidly bought three 12mm Petzl hangers online, thinking the bolts would be easy to buy at Screwfix. Seems not. Does anyone know of a good (cheap) source of the appropriate through-bolts in such low quantities. I assume I need stainless. Ta. 

Deadeye 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Don't quite understand your setup but Toolstation has been better than Screwfix for a long time.  Otherwise  Accu

Donotello 14 Jul 2019

I get my bolting bolts at B&Q, I don’t understand why you’re having problems finding them. There are dozens of styles of expansion bolt though you want the nut and bolt style.

In reply to Donotello:

I was getting hung-up on avoiding mixing the stainless Petzl hanger with a zinc-coated expansion bolt from a DIY shed, but maybe I'm over-thinking it. 

jon 14 Jul 2019

Make sure what you are placing it in is solid and not, for example, a hollow block... 

(You probably know this, so apologies in advance!)

In reply to jon:

> Make sure what you are placing it in is solid and not, for example, a hollow block... 

> (You probably know this, so apologies in advance!)

I've got that covered ta, but there are still plenty of other ways I'll end up in the local newspaper. 

JLS 14 Jul 2019

If it’s just a short term one off sort of thing then you don’t need worry about the mild steel / stainless mixing. It’ll be years and years before that makes your bolts rusty.

In reply to JLS:

It's for maintenance I'll need to do every few years, and I'd like to leave the bolts and hangers in place. So maybe that means I'm back where I started this post, needing stainless 12mm expansion bolts....

craig h 14 Jul 2019

If a through bolt why not get some 12mm stainless steel threaded bar and cut it to length, then some big stainless steel washers / plate for the inside?

Post edited at 22:11
In reply to craig h:

It's to go into solid stonework, so an expansion bolt.

mike123 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty: I get uppity when people do this to me , but  are you sure resin anchors would not be better ? If you are , then sorry for mentioning it . 

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=Resin%20anchors%20

ive put thrm + petal hangers into a few house for securing ladders / myself  . I vefound them to  be much easier to place reliably than expansion bolts . 

craig h 14 Jul 2019

If you Google M12 stainless steel anchors there's lots of drive / knock in's of various lengths and prices. Work wise we use Hilti ones.

In reply to mike123:

Interesting. Never used resin. 

Dax H 15 Jul 2019

Personally I would use resin. I find the expansion bolts on the link you posted to be a bit hit and miss. It's a very small collar that expands and needs good quality stone to bite in to. Resin on the other hand fills the entire hole and conforms to the shape of the hole for in my opinion a stronger fixing. 

steve taylor 15 Jul 2019

Hilti if you want something that will last...

If you have a local shop, you can buy in small quantities.

JLS 15 Jul 2019

I’d expect those bolts will be fine for your purpose.

Resin would be better, particularly if it’s sandstone but as you now have the hangers you might as well continue down the through-bolt road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...