When your proper ill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

As I stated recently I've been ill over Christmas and unable to go to the gym . I had to have 10 days for so off and couldn't really do much for the 2 weeks I had off work.

This is the first week back at work and I've managed to go to the gym twice so far.

I noticed this morning looking at my fitbit that over the break my resting heart rate had jumped from its usual 58 bpm to 72 bpm over the 2 weeks off work. 

It's back down to normal again but I was pretty shocked that being in bed  mainly and not doing much it would raise quite that much .

Surprising thing to learn.

What to take from this ?

It was probably a good idea to have a rest, although I've put on a few kilos that now need removing.

TWS

stevieb 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Isn't it raised because you're fighting the infection? You weren't active, but your body was working hard.

Ridge 10 Jan 2020

There appears to be a particularly nasty flu thing going round this year. Both me and Mrs Ridge are laid low at the moment, and interestingly my Garmin started giving me “overtraining”warnings, (and saying my 'body battery” wasn't “recharging” during sleep), before I got ill. I always thought these were gimmicks, but something was obviously off.

The thing to take from this is when you're ill you're..er..ill, and your body doesn't work as expected. Take it steady, and don't rush back to training hard.

Post edited at 09:17
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2020

> It's back down to normal again but I was pretty shocked that being in bed  mainly and not doing much it would raise quite that much .

I think it's much more likely that the raised resting heart rate was a symptom of the lergy than a result of staying in bed.  Correlation not causation if you see what I mean.

In reply to deepsoup:

> I think it's much more likely that the raised resting heart rate was a symptom of the lergy than a result of staying in bed.  Correlation not causation if you see what I mean.

Oh of course yes . 

I thought the lying down would have counteracted that though.

In reply to stevieb:

> Isn't it raised because you're fighting the infection? You weren't active, but your body was working hard.

Yes of course , just didn't think that with lying down it would raise that much . 

I've learn something new.  

ClimberEd 10 Jan 2020

elevated HR (assuming you know what your 'normal' HR is) is a key sign of being ill, lying down or standing up

Hope you feel better soon.

In reply to ClimberEd:

> elevated HR (assuming you know what your 'normal' HR is) is a key sign of being ill, lying down or standing up

> Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks , 

I've just about recovered now . 95 %

You can check if you are over training as well by checking your HR whilst resting. If you are usually 58 bpm, then check every morning when you wake up. If it's in the mid to high 60's have a rest day or two until it drops back to normal.

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> You can check if you are over training as well by checking your HR whilst resting. If you are usually 58 bpm, then check every morning when you wake up. If it's in the mid to high 60's have a rest day or two until it drops back to normal.

Thanks . I didn't know that.

It's usually 56-58 ish .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...