What’s wrong with my van? I

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The clutch recently exploded on my Citroen Dispatch van (It’s a 2012, 2 litre diesel with 65k on the clock).

I have had the clutch replaced and the van is driving fine. Before the clutch died a warning light was intermittently coming on, this stayed on after the clutch was replaced. The garage ran diagnostics, and the fault code indicated that it was related to the turbo. 

The fault got reset by the garage, who had a look at it and could work out if anything was wrong, and it stayed off for a couple of hundred miles. It’s now come back on permanently, and an additional light (orange triangle with ! in it) is also coming on at low speeds only.

The van is still driving/sounding fine. 

Any ideas?

Cheese Monkey 12 Sep 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Boost leak? You need the code to really have any idea anything else is just a stab in the dark (including my suggestion)

Post edited at 18:15
 girlymonkey 12 Sep 2019

If it's driving fine then just ignore it! Accept it as the new normal and move on! Lol ( I have had many old vehicles, all have their "quirks"!)

Ridge 12 Sep 2019

What's wrong with your van?

It's French.

Alkis 12 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

As an engineer, that approach terrifies me. :-P

girlymonkey 12 Sep 2019
In reply to Alkis:

Lol! I've had many a random warning light over the years that I just ignore! Once vehicles reach my level of affordablity, these sorts of things are just part of their character.

My current van can only be unlocked by using the key in the back door, sliding open the side door and then reaching through to the internal handle for the front door! The passenger side window can only be worked from the driver's side and the handbrake is rubbish. 

Still works though! Lol

baron 12 Sep 2019

Light on dashboard is an MOT failure.  

ebdon 12 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Really? my garages advice to an airbag warning light that was constantly on was to stick some black electric tape over it!

baron 12 Sep 2019
In reply to ebdon:

> Really? my garages advice to an airbag warning light that was constantly on was to stick some black electric tape over it!

I think the rules changed recently.

pasbury 12 Sep 2019
In reply to Alkis:

As a software engineer that approach is quite normal.

And usually successful.

Alkis 12 Sep 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> As a software engineer that approach is quite normal. And usually successful.

In a previous life I was an electronic engineer. I’m a software engineer now and I generally do not accept that approach when I review or maintain code. Known flaws, sure, known flaws of unknown origin, hell no. :-P

That said, maybe accepting that approach would lower my stress levels...

NottsRich 13 Sep 2019

> The fault got reset by the garage, who had a look at it and could work out if anything was wrong, and it stayed off for a couple of hundred miles. It’s now come back on permanently, and an additional light (orange triangle with ! in it) is also coming on at low speeds only.

> The van is still driving/sounding fine. 

A quick google shows the triangle with ! means a service is due. That triangle/! in conjuction with other lights means other things. What was the sign that was on previously?

https://www.dash-lights.com/citroen/berlingo-dashboard-warning-lights/

If the garage reset the fault codes previously they should have made a record of what codes were present. Did they? Take it back to get it read again, at least any codes on there should be current rather than ancient codes.

daWalt 13 Sep 2019

buy a diagnostic code reader, read codes, reset codes, eat, sleep, repeat .

as already suggested, my suspicion would be the pressure valve of the turbo is probably partially gummed up with carbon. an inefficient turbo won't immediately be obvious; might need a proper diagnostic test - with rolling road, not just reading error codes. 

but, your van could drive for years with a slightly crappy turbo, maybe just a bit less fuel efficient. if the pressure valve is seized it'll still work and the ECU should cut it if it over-boosts (at high revs/load): then just switch engine off and back on again

a 2nd hand reconditioned turbo might cost you £4-500 or so, and fitting on top of that.

Hooo 13 Sep 2019

You can buy an ODBII reader for under a tenner. Get one, read the fault codes and Google them. IME it's usually a known issue with that vehicle and someone has posted a step by step solution. 

It's amazing that many garages don't​ seem to do this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...