What would the police do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 14 Feb 2019

Hypothetical question.

If I went to a Police Station and reported that, at some point in the future (say 5 years away), I intended to commit a crime what are the police obliged to do?

If that crime was specifically to assist someone in taking their own life, with a clear audit trail of competent decision making over several years on their part, would that change anything?

Would it make my problems bigger or smaller come the actual event (given that I'd likely be warned against doing so)?

skog 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I don't know the answers, so my post may be unwelcome; if so, sorry.

But it's the job of the police to enforce the law, whether or not that law is a good one.

I'd suggest that it would be foolish and probably selfish to draw their attention to any lawbreaking you may wish to do - as they'll either have to enforce the law, probably harming you, or fail to enforce it, quite possibly landing themselves in trouble.

In reply to Deadeye:

If there is somebody else involved, and you tell the police you are making preparations to break the law at a future date you might need to worry about a conspiracy charge.

Why not talk to a lawyer about the situation in hypothetical terms.

Post edited at 18:25
 Trangia 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

In the tragic case of Mr and Mrs Geoffrey Whaley which was reported last week. Mr Whaley had already booked himself into a euthanasia clinic in Switzerland, but when the time came to book the flight he had been unable to as a result of his terminal illness so his wife booked the flights for him and herself on his behalf. Somehow he police got to hear of this and before the suicide took place she was twice interviewed by the police under caution and warned that on her return to the UK after his death she might face criminal charges. This caused the couple terrible distress in the circumstance and was heartbreaking. Mr Whaley did take his own life in Switzweland as he had planned with the love and support of his family. In the event the police decided that they would take no action.

This is wrong, totally wrong, that terminally ill people should be put under such stress as if their illness is not tragic enough anyway. It's also wrong that  the police should should be put into such a morally and emotionally difficult position to uphold a law which the majority of citizens in the country do not support. It is Parliament which attempting to play God here.

Timmd 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Trangia:

I almost agree with you, but I heard something about this in Holland where the laws are different, with some medical people over their having concerns that a minority of people actually were being 'hurried along' by relatives. 

The stress which people and their relatives are put under is awful, I agree, but the right verdict generally seems to be arrived at regarding prosecutions, I get the impression. 

I can't make my mind up whether the law should be changed...

Post edited at 18:52
 Luke90 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I have no idea how the police would respond but I struggle to imagine any scenario where speaking to them now could possibly benefit you.

Deadeye 14 Feb 2019
In reply to skog:

OK.  I have terminal cancer (and not the good kind).

I am very clear about how it evolves and ends... and I'm not a fan for sticking around for the indignity of palliative care as my bones collapse.

I also know the best, surest and least traumatic way to exit.

However, it might be viewed as "assisted".  I want a formal record of the intention (with sound mind) - as I believe this should be protective of the person(s) that help.  I want to reiterate that intent annually so there is no doubt about coercion or wavering determination.

Ultimately *when* a specific set of circumstances arises, I need someone to press a small button, once.  As I'm completely certain this is what I want (and have been for some years now), I do not wish that person to reap consequences.

marsbar 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I would think a solicitor might be more use than the police. 

I'm no expert but the recent case of the body modifying seems to suggest you can't give your consent for someone to harm you.  

marsbar 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

It may be worth considering that even in places where they have legal assisted dying, the person has to be well enough to self administer.   

I don't know if this is a good thing as it protects both parties, or a bad thing as presumably people decide to die while they still can instead of havinga bit longer.  

Ridge 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Really sorry to hear that (assuming thats an actual rather than hypothetical situation).

Could you not prepare things now (system may need some level of maintenance) and take regular videos of you doing the setup / maintenance work. Likewise leave signed depositions of your intent with a solicitor?

I don't want to probe, but is the condition likely to deteriorate so rapidly you find yourself unable to self administer?

skog 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I'm sorry about that, it's a terrible situation and I think I'd be trying to prepare my own end in the same place.

I really don't think the police are who you want to speak to, though. A solicitor, possibly, or one of the organisations which helps deal with such situations - but the police may not be able to be your allies in this.

As Trangia says, it's time the law was changed - at least for those who are clearly still of sound mind when stating their intentions. But the police have to deal with the law as it stands, and may not always be able to exercise the discretion you would wish for.

Timmd 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I now feel like my other post was 'mis-toned' given the context of this thread. 

The justice system in England seems to be pretty sensitive about this kind of thing, with the ambiguity (if that's the right word) which causes distress allowing no charges to be ultimately brought where appropriate as well. 

Some kind of video diary where you talk about your state of health and ultimate intention, along with leaving something with a solicitor to be provided after the event to underline that it was your choice all along, might go enough of the way towards making sure there's no doubt that you weren't coerced. 

I hope you find a path which is what you wish for.

Post edited at 23:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...