What on Earth is this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 21 Nov 2022

Yesterday, taken from the West Sands (Chariots of Fire) at St Andrews looking straight out to sea. Cropped version with minor editing. I have absolutely no idea. Looks like alien shenanigans to me. 

compost 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Only time I've seen things like that they turned out to be fin whales breaking the surface to breathe. they hung around our little boat for a bit and then went back under. Was amazing!

Edit: Or aliens. Obviously.

Post edited at 17:22

Looks like a rather large crane vessel?

It’s the dolphins starting their interplanetary migration. So long and thanks for all the fish. 

broken spectre 21 Nov 2022

Artemis booster splashdown?

Tom Last 21 Nov 2022

Tornado/waterspouts? 

I saw similar off Cornwall a few years back though 'cleaner'. 

In reply to IPlaceBoltsAtStanage:

If you zoom in, you can see some ‘structure’ in the left hand thing. But they look very curved. 

broken spectre 21 Nov 2022

Surface to Air nukes (hopefully not).

PaulJepson 21 Nov 2022

Some kind of light refraction?

elliot.baker 21 Nov 2022

yeah as someone else said I think it's some sort of man made thing like a wind turbine / crane but with some light bending due to weather / horizon / lens or something

In reply to Naechi:

Thanks.  I’ve narrowed it down to those, or aliens firing nukes. 

aln 21 Nov 2022

Can't be aliens coz they don't have nukes, they use ray-guns. 

I saw them last year from Tentsmuir and wondered what they were.

DaveHK 21 Nov 2022

Fata morgana.

hang_about 21 Nov 2022

Tall ship distorted by fata morgana? 

MikeR 21 Nov 2022

I'd go with waterspout, although admittedly slightly odd looking ones.

What time was it taken? There were some quite favorable conditions for tornado formation offshore Fife around midday and during the afternoon, with a few beefy showers on the rain radar.

daWalt 21 Nov 2022
In reply to Naechi:

good spot. I saw that thing from the shore a couple of years back, it totally confused my sense of scale and distance. I had to go home and look it up, and yes it's efin huge.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:370081/mmsi:30946...

(can see past track on the live-map)

Jimp97 21 Nov 2022

the left one looks like a flute playing avatar 

Myfyr Tomos 21 Nov 2022

You need to clean your sensor BC. 🤣

Post edited at 21:57
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2022
In reply to MikeR:

> There were some quite favorable conditions for tornado formation offshore Fife around midday and during the afternoon, with a few beefy showers on the rain radar.

There was a tornado in Fife a few years back that caused several million pounds of improvements.

mountainbagger 21 Nov 2022
In reply to daWalt:

From that site:

"Pipelay Crane Vessel SAIPEM 7000 is currently located at UKC - North Sea at position 56° 34' 26.9" N, 001° 37' 04.3" W as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial Automatic Identification System on 2022-11-21 22:58 UTC (5 minutes ago)"

Located at UKC !

Tringa 21 Nov 2022

There doesn't seem to be any obvious solid object in the shot but how about two Typhoons from Lossiemouth (or Coningsby, though less likely) pulling up from a very low level flight?

Dave

CameronDuff14 22 Nov 2022

They're offshore cranes, been out there for days if not weeks, I see them from my bedroom window!

The cold air above just the sea is denser, so refracts the light more and the wind will be influencing the air density also, similar to a seeing-cell effect

CameronDuff14 22 Nov 2022
In reply to CameronDuff14:

You can see the platforms and support ships on marine traffic: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:198668/zoom:10

They're building on offshore windfarm

The objects in the photo are almost certainly the cranes on the Balder platform: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:415094/zoom:11

Post edited at 00:52
In reply to mountainbagger:

> From that site:

> "Pipelay Crane Vessel SAIPEM 7000 is currently located at UKC - North Sea at position 56° 34' 26.9" N, 001° 37' 04.3" W as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial Automatic Identification System on 2022-11-21 22:58 UTC (5 minutes ago)"

> Located at UKC !

RomTheBear is getting increasingly creative !!

wercat 22 Nov 2022

Russian SF

jkarran 22 Nov 2022

The left one is a crane, the right looks like it could be a three bladed turbine. Both really heavily messed up by the atmosphere. They could be over the horizon, there's an atmospheric effect that creates a sort of light pipe immediately over the surface of water. It's a favourite of flat earthers, you fire a laser (or look through a scope) over still (curved) water and it should appear to rise away from the surface with distance but it actually tends to track it diffracted by the local temperature gradient above the water. I'd guess you're seeing objects through a long and messy version of that experiment.

jk

Post edited at 08:57
 jcw 22 Nov 2022
In reply to Tom Last:

I don't think you could have two water spouts in such close proximity for physical reasons: or could you?

wilkie14c 22 Nov 2022

brocken spectre of the sea, aarrr 🏴‍☠️ 

NathanP 22 Nov 2022

The horizon looks remarkably lumpy so - guessing - is there a lot of atmospheric distortion so they could be something quite mundane but heavily distorted?

Brass Nipples 22 Nov 2022
In reply to Tom Last:

> Tornado/waterspouts? 

> I saw similar off Cornwall a few years back though 'cleaner'. 

Yep I’d go with this 

aln 22 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Oi!

😉

Cobra_Head 23 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Fata morgana.

Not very PC Largea Morgana, if you don't mind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...