What level of quarantine?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 21 Mar 2020

So we have just found out that my brother-in-law is trying to get a flight home to the UK asap. He is currently in Mexico having spent 18 months in Antarctica and then when he left his plan was to travel up through south America to go mountaineering etc. 

I'm not sure where exactly he has been in South America, but it all seems a bit lower risk than we currently are. He is coming to our house when he gets back as his father has COPD and his granny who is 88 is heavily dependent on the family now she is self isolating. 

So, how high risk are airports and planes just now? Should we get him to stay in his bedroom for 2 weeks, bring him food, keep separate bathrooms, not allow him into the living room etc? Or should we just be careful with hand washing etc? Are we a bigger risk to him as there is more of the virus in the UK? His parents and other brother are semi-seriously suggesting that we put him in a tent in the garden and don't let him in for 2 weeks! Lol

wintertree 21 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

If he’s been in Antarctica he’s really not going to mind a tend one Britain in late March.  The clearer the separation, the less chance of a mistake or a low probability contamination transfer or whatever it’s called.

The way I see it, you want to mutually quarantine for at least seven days while keeping a log of body temperature and noting any unusual coughing.  From other people I know returning from isolated places, the airports and aircraft are practically abandoned but that’s no guarantee.

OP girlymonkey 21 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Hmm, we don't have a thermometer, maybe we need one... Or two if he is going to need one as well.

summo 21 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

2 weeks... near total isolation. Ideally different bathrooms, only you should cook and leave it by his room door etc... paper plates, double bagged after. 

It depends how critical it is for you to avoid it and how much faith you have that planes and airports are adequately cleaned. 

marsbar 21 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

> ...how much faith you have that planes and airports are adequately cleaned. 

None whatsoever.

OP girlymonkey 21 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

I probably won't do paper plates, seems very wasteful. I could leave a washing up bowl outside his door for him to put them in when finished and then tip them straight into washing up water. 

summo 21 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I probably won't do paper plates, seems very wasteful. I could leave a washing up bowl outside his door for him to put them in when finished and then tip them straight into washing up water. 

That would work. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...