What goes in the picnic box?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 03 Jul 2019

Planning a surprise for someone's birthday.

Involves a picnic - so what makes a really good lunch in a cool box?

I'm trying to be veggie but the siren voice of kedgeree calls me for picnics (yes, even cold).

Some good bread and mushroom pate. I have some fizz and dips/crudites. Twiglets.  A sleection of cheeses and apples.  A cold roast chicken for the meaties?

Rugs, knives and forks, plates, soft drinks, tumblers, napkins.  Sunscreen, antihistamine cream.  Swimmers and towel (we're going by "boat").

Pimms?

Stuffed mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts and hollandaise.  Grilled peppers and courgettes.  Dolmadakia.  Oh, and gherkins.  Did I mention twiglets?

Fruit salad, perhaps some cherries.  Shortbread.

Something to snack - twiglets maybe.

Water.

Sounds a bit light.  Ideas?  There's 4 of us.

Dave the Rave 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Quorn sausage rolls and picnic eggs?

Slimming world vegi pie? It’s surprisingly good and easy to make. I can send you the recipe if you want.

Removed User 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Condoms? You can wipe out one of the bowls for the car keys.

Post edited at 21:32
 Philip 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Just make sure if you promise someone a picnic you don't just deliver a packed lunch. Picnic is an art, packed lunch isn't.

Picnic : at least two different types of sandwich, at least 2 other savoury items, crisps (or similar), selection of fruit, cakes an biscuits. Tea, squash, champagne, port, gin and tonic - not necessarily all.

Don't forget baby wipes (or kitchen roll), plates, cups or glasses, picnic rug.

As you said you're going veggie, how about:

• Sandwiches : Mature cheddar and cucumber (or spring onion), brie / rocket / chilli jam, egg and salad cream
  • Extras : caramelised onion tart, brie and cranberry puff rolls, a caesar(ish) salad (take ingredients and make on the spot : leaves/croutons/sauce/parmesan/tomatoes), stuffed olives
  • Crisps : Tyrrells - accept no substitute
  • Cakes : millionaire shortbread, and a lightly spiced tea cake or rum and ginger loaf
  • Fruit : strawberries, raspberries, cherries
  • Drink : English sparkling wine
Post edited at 21:50
 marsbar 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

You can never have too many twiglets. 

Scotch eggs maybe?  

Hummus and pittas 

Quiche? 

Deadeye 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Quorn sausage rolls and picnic eggs?

> Slimming world vegi pie? It’s surprisingly good and easy to make. I can send you the recipe if you want.

Quorn "meat lookalikes" are more hmmm than mmmm.

Oceanrower 03 Jul 2019
In reply to marsbar:

I don't think scotch eggs are "that" vegetarian...

Deadeye 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed User:

So *you're* the house with the pampas grass.  Always wondered.  Not my scene, sorry.

FactorXXX 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Condoms? You can wipe out one of the bowls for the car keys.

They're going by boat.
So instead of dogging, maybe they could go crabbing?

Deadeye 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I don't think scotch eggs are "that" vegetarian...

Nor's kedgeree, and I really really want some.

Maybe I'll thorw in some extra twiglets instead.

Removed User 03 Jul 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Or trout tickling?

In reply to Philip:

> Just make sure if you promise someone a picnic you don't just deliver a packed lunch. Picnic is an art, packed lunch isn't.

> Picnic : at least two different types of sandwich, at least 2 other savoury item

> Sandwiches : Mature cheddar and cucumber (or spring onion), brie / rocket / chilli jam, egg and salad cream

> Extras : caramelised onion tart, brie and cranberry puff rolls, a caesar(ish) salad (take ingredients and make on the spot : leaves/croutons/sauce/parmesan/tomatoes), stuffed olives

> Crisps : Tyrrells - accept no substitute

> Cakes : millionaire shortbread, and a lightly spiced tea cake or rum and ginger loaf

> Fruit : strawberries, raspberries, cherries

> Drink : English sparkling wine

Wow. This guy knows how to picnic.

In reply to Deadeye:

Like this best:

"Tea, squash, champagne, port, gin and tonic - not necessarily all."

Ah, port! Never think of port!

marsbar 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Nor is roast chicken?  

I suggested 1 meat and 2 veggie options  (+ twiglets)  

Dave the Rave 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

> Quorn "meat lookalikes" are more hmmm than mmmm.

I tend to agree, but I live with some crap Vegis. They like these 

In reply to Deadeye:

FFS!

Pork pie, silverskin onions, good cheddar, mustard, good red wine, good beers.

You'll be a feckin hero!

Deadeye 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Philip:

Golly.  Pressure on!

Agree re packed lunch though.

mick taylor 03 Jul 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

You need a boat to get to Dogger Bank...

pasbury 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Massive pork pie, mustard, sorted.

climbingpixie 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I'd be tempted to throw in a substantial salad item as well, like a cold pasta or potato salad. I've been making a really nice roasted sweet potato salad for lunches recently - roasted chunks of sweet potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, chopped spring onions, red pepper and edamame beans with a dressing made of yoghurt, fresh lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Or cold pesto pasta with feta cheese and sundried tomatoes.

mick taylor 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

As well as taking everything else already suggest adding a box of oat cakes, cream cheese and smoked salmon.  And see your grilled peppers etc:  roast them with rosemary and garlic then marinate with oil and lemon with sun dried toms.  And make a fancy apple tart: blind bake your shortcrust pastry base, fry apple slices in butter, arrange in pastry case like a chef would, glaze with whatever you fancy (usual apricot, but try marmalade).

mick taylor 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

And ditch the water.

Dr.S at work 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Du Pain, Du Vin, Du Boursin.

Bulls Crack 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

‘Hold hard a minute, then!’ said the Rat. He looped the painter through a ring in his landing-stage, climbed up into his hole above, and after a short interval reappeared staggering under a fat, wicker luncheon-basket.
‘Shove that under your feet,’ he observed to the Mole, as he passed it down into the boat. Then he untied the painter and took the sculls again.
‘What’s inside it?’ asked the Mole, wriggling with curiosity.
‘There’s cold chicken inside it,’ replied the Rat briefly;
‘coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssandwiches
pottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater—-‘
‘O stop, stop,’ cried the Mole in ecstacies: ‘This is too much!’
‘Do you really think so?’ enquired the Rat seriously. ‘It’s only what I always take on these little excursions; and the other animals are always telling me that I’m a mean beast and cut it VERY fine!’

Suncream 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Another vote for Quorn scotch eggs. Better than the "real" thing in my opinion. Also their cocktail sausages.

ben b 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

From personal experience if you provide enough Pimms, everything else works itself out sooner or later, to immense satisfaction for all involved (until the next day).

We had a big picnic outside Kenwood House years ago. My god it was fun, but we may have got a bit carried away with the Pimms - after all it has strawberries, and cucumber, and undoubtedly counts as one of 5 fruit and veg at east, possibly two... When we got up to walk home we had all forgotten how to walk...

b

b

malk 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

don't take any quorn - your guests will not be impressed. how aout falafel scotch eggs:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2yoE29HVo&

Deadeye 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> ‘Hold hard a minute, then!’ said the Rat. He looped the painter through a ring in his landing-stage, climbed up into his hole above, and after a short interval reappeared staggering under a fat, wicker luncheon-basket.

> ‘Shove that under your feet,’ he observed to the Mole, as he passed it down into the boat. Then he untied the painter and took the sculls again.

> ‘What’s inside it?’ asked the Mole, wriggling with curiosity.

> ‘There’s cold chicken inside it,’ replied the Rat briefly;

> ‘coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssandwiches

> pottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater—-‘

> ‘O stop, stop,’ cried the Mole in ecstacies: ‘This is too much!’

> ‘Do you really think so?’ enquired the Rat seriously. ‘It’s only what I always take on these little excursions; and the other animals are always telling me that I’m a mean beast and cut it VERY fine!’

But, but, b...but, Where ARE the TWIGLETS?

Deadeye 04 Jul 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

> As well as taking everything else already suggest adding a box of oat cakes, cream cheese and smoked salmon.  

We're going to need a bigger boat...

Pefa 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

A dozen rolls filled with pot noodle and crisps, lots of irn bru,haribo (for the weans) , fine wine( buckfast) , rizlas, half dig etc, sorted. 

Pbob 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Strawberry spinach salad

Moley 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Pickled onions, has nobody mentioned pickled onions (home pickled obviously)? Essential.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...