What do you call it ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

You know what I mean don't you ?

Those weird feelings you sometimes get.

When everything sort of quickly fades out and then fades back and you sort of can't quite believe what it is your seeing and experiencing .

There must be a name for it, but I cant even quiet put it into words to search accurately for it .

TWS

Post edited at 13:06
 deacondeacon 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

De ja vu? 

wercat 09 Oct 2019

fazed?

FactorXXX 09 Oct 2019

Phantasmagoria?

In reply to deacondeacon:

> De ja vu? 

No not the experience of having done or experienced stuff before.

It's like a break in concentration , like your rebooting type thing. 

Happens quite quickly just from time to time in life.  wondering if its down to tiredness .

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Phantasmagoria?

Interesting but no not really accurate.

I didn't even think that was a thing but a retro film magazine from years ago.

Badgers 09 Oct 2019

Would depersonalisation or derealisation fit the bill? Can be transient and short lived episodes.

JLS 09 Oct 2019

>"What do you call it ?

Nodding off.

In reply to wercat:

> fazed?

Online descriptions of fazed are more in keeping with the experience .

I have a friend who I've discussed this with and he knows what I mean (well appears to )

I assumed it was something all people get.

wercat 09 Oct 2019

is it one of those moments where there is a sanse of detached unreality as if you have stepped back from yourself or your experience for a moment?  Almost as if reality had become like a dream from which you awake without it all disappearing?  The senses seem renewed for a brief spell

In reply to Badgers:

> Would depersonalisation or derealisation fit the bill? Can be transient and short lived episodes.

Yes that's the closest thing described.  Maybe not perfectly but the best I will probably get for such a subjective experience .

Rob Exile Ward 09 Oct 2019

Discombobulated?

Xharlie 09 Oct 2019
In reply to JLS:

> >"What do you call it ?

> Nodding off.

Driving.

(Lessons learned early in life: it's safer if my other-half drives after sports. Also the outdoor kind.)

In reply to wercat:

> is it one of those moments where there is a sanse of detached unreality as if you have stepped back from yourself or your experience for a moment?  Almost as if reality had become like a dream from which you awake without it all disappearing?  The senses seem renewed for a brief spell

Yes.  

And for a brief moment (very brief)  you can sometimes feel like you can't believe the absurdity of the universe.   The overwhelming horror of the fact anything exists and its all so massive and unknowable .   It's all so very fast and difficult to grasp.

A temporary break and then the awareness of all the sensory data pouring in through the senses .

Post edited at 13:26
 wercat 09 Oct 2019

Ah, you've been in the Total Perspective Vortex

In reply to wercat:

> Ah, you've been in the Total Perspective Vortex

Some might say it's a flashback .

:-D

"Derealization can accompany the neurological conditions of epilepsy (particularly temporal lobe epilepsy), migraine, and mild TBI (head injury)[6] There is a similarity between visual hypo-emotionality, a reduced emotional response to viewed objects, and derealization. This suggests a disruption of the process by which perception becomes emotionally coloured. This qualitative change in the experiencing of perception may lead to reports of anything viewed being unreal or detached.[2]

"Some neurophysiological studies have noted disturbances arising from the frontal-temporal cortex, which as noted was highly correlated in temporal-lobe disorders such as epilepsy. This lead to speculation of involvement of more subtle shifts in neural circuitry and inhibitory neuro-chemical pathways."

It all very interesting ,  I'm not concerned however as I've had it occur a few time throughout  life and I'm still here.

Yanis Nayu 09 Oct 2019

Orgasm

Xharlie 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sneezing.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Oct 2019

I call it ‘going off on one’ when everything fades to a fuzz then suddenly snaps back to here and now,

Chris

RobertHepburn 09 Oct 2019

Bugs in the simulation?

Puppythedog 09 Oct 2019

I think it is mentioned above. Sounds to me like what I would dissociation.

tjdodd 09 Oct 2019

Everyday life

NottsRich 09 Oct 2019

> When everything sort of quickly fades out and then fades back and you sort of can't quite believe what it is your seeing and experiencing .

Over what sort of time period? I occasionally get things fading away and then wooshing back very suddenly. Not like my vision/balance or anything, more like my brain just goes somewhere else and comes rushing back. It's all over in around a second, it's interesting to observe, and not at all unpleasant. Similar?

Toerag 09 Oct 2019

Standing up too quickly?

In reply to NottsRich:

> Over what sort of time period? I occasionally get things fading away and then wooshing back very suddenly. Not like my vision/balance or anything, more like my brain just goes somewhere else and comes rushing back. It's all over in around a second, it's interesting to observe, and not at all unpleasant. Similar?

Yes .  

Probably within the space of about a few seconds 

It's best described as derealisation so far.

spenser 09 Oct 2019

You might be describing something known as Dissociation or Hypoarousal, there is some detail here concerning Hypoarousal:

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/window-of-tolerance

Both result from your amygdala saying "I've had enough of this" and taking a tea break.

In reply to spenser:

> You might be describing something known as Dissociation or Hypoarousal, there is some detail here concerning Hypoarousal:

> Both result from your amygdala saying "I've had enough of this" and taking a tea break.

That's interesting thanks .  I'd never heard of that before and with in the context of mental health it's possible.

The derealisation suggested earlier seems to fit the description certainly 

Post edited at 14:44
 spenser 09 Oct 2019

I'm happy to discuss it in a bit more detail with you at some point, I can probably dig out some bits on it if you reckon it's something you are having issues with/ are interested with. 

In reply to spenser:

> I'm happy to discuss it in a bit more detail with you at some point, I can probably dig out some bits on it if you reckon it's something you are having issues with/ are interested with. 

It's not really bothering me . I've had it a few time more than normal recently but I recall experiencing it at various time throughout life.

It's one of those things that you always sort of think to ask about but never do . 

Things like this I find interesting . Perception in general.

Post edited at 14:49
 the sheep 09 Oct 2019

Possibly had something similar where reality seems to rapidly fade out and then come back in again however when it comes back you feel like a slightly different person for a while with thought processes seeming to be out from what you normally would expect. Kind of like feeling mentally out of focus for a while. Yet all the while your body keeps functioning quite happily?

topper133 09 Oct 2019

Brexit

marsbar 09 Oct 2019

I know what you mean and it's something I get, especially if tired or stressed.  

bouldery bits 09 Oct 2019

Wednesday.

bouldery bits 09 Oct 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

> De ja vu? 

De ja vu? 

Wilfred Bion was a psychoanalyst. He used a term called 'nameless dread' back in the 1930's. It's worth investigating the term. 

Interestingly, he psychoanalysed Samuel Beckett, the Irish playwright, for a while. I don't suppose it was a barrel of laughs and I am not sure Beckett got much out of the experience. 

Best wishes with your thoughts. Living can be very difficult sometimes. 

Pefa 09 Oct 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Phantasmagoria?

Only the best album Curved Air ever did which has a very ethereal quality. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_(Curved_Air_album)

slutswood 09 Oct 2019

This is when your other self is messing with you.

Like it's saying: "I'm still here, you know"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...