What bird is that? Portland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 slowmotion 06 Jul 2019

Hi there's been a pair of birds of prey around battleship edge the past few weeks. I don't think climbers bother them. Just wondering what they are. Anyone else spotted them? Thought they might be sparrowhaw but they tend to be in wooded areas and gardens. 

In reply to slowmotion:

Probably peregrines. Regular cliff dwellers and hunters. Classic view is their attack dive with folded wings. They can also hover into a prevailing wind (like you will get over an edge).

mick taylor 06 Jul 2019
In reply to slowmotion:

Either peregrines or kestrels, which are smaller and more slender and will hover a lot.  Peregrines will appear chunkier and almost black on top.  Sparrowhawks are about the same size.  I once got up close and personal with a female peregrine as it dive bombed me as I accidentally neared it’s nest with eggs (on Gormenghast)

Removed User 06 Jul 2019
In reply to slowmotion:

I was sat on a belay  on The Wastard a few years back when a Peregrine chick landed in my lap, I got it back in its nest despite being harassed by both adults.  Peregrine's are very vocal where Sparrow Hawks tend to be very quiet.   Had one come within 2ft of my shoulder last week as it took a Blue Tit off my bird feeder and I only heard a whoosh as it came from behind me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...