What bird?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 04 May 2021

Woods in Pollok Park, Glasgow.

Some kind of woodpecker?

Again, apologies for pic quality. The bird flies off when I try to get closer.

flatlandrich 04 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks like a Jay.

OP Flinticus 04 May 2021
In reply to flatlandrich:

Thanks!

I agree, having looked at pics on google. The RSPB description also chimes with my experience 'They are shy woodland birds, rarely moving far from cover.'

Andypeak 04 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Definitely a jay

Michael Hood 04 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Defo a Jay - you see pictures of them pink + bright blue flash - should be easy to spot - but no, they're actually amazingly camouflaged. Also they tend to be much more secretive than their nearest UK cousins - magpies. Call is a a very harsh sort of rasp - quite easy to identify once you know what it is.

Oh, and get a jay to eat out of your hand and we will all be gobsmacked - likely to be orders of magnitude more difficult than your latest crow mate.

Post edited at 14:35
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Jay .... Call is a a very harsh sort of rasp - quite easy to identify once you know what it is.

The Welsh name is "Sgrech y Coed" - the Screech in the Woods. 

McHeath 04 May 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

They also do a beautiful little musical burbling/chattering thing, very quiet compared to the racket they can otherwise make. I've only heard it once and was sure I was going to make a rare sighting, until I saw the bird sitting in a dense bush quietly burbling away to itself. 

Darron 05 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

The harsh call has been mentioned but another diagnostic of the Jay is a white rump. If you see a Crow sized bird flying between Oak or Beech trees (particularly active in Autumn) and it shows a white rump then assume it's a Jay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...