Wetsuit advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 07 Jul 2020

I'm thinking of buying a new wetsuit as my old one has 'shrunk' over the years.

I've been open water swimming during lockdown in the local rivers and lakes and I've got a lot better with cold water, but I want to be able to stay in longer. I've been looking at some of the swimming wetsuits that are stretchier than traditional wetsuits, but lots of the reviews suggest that entry level ones don't last well. I have thought that it might also be used for the odd canyon trip and with this in mind have been thinking that a sleeveless traditional wetsuit might be the way forward. 

My top end budget is probably about £150, if I had change from that it'd be good. 

petegunn 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I have a zone3 one from wiggle that I've had for 3 years and it's fine, no holes. I use it quite a bit for both swimming in the lakes and for surfing (with a hooded rash vest for extra warmth)

Zone3 mens azure wetsuit.

I wouldnt use it for ghylls though. Probably an older style wetsuit I. E. Not smooth texture for that. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01CsV5Gui5nah5yxsPgCAXW4o2cig%3A...

Post edited at 21:14
OP Baron Weasel 07 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

I was looking at this exact one, most of the reviews are 5 star with a few one star ones from people saying that they've fallen to pieces really quickly which put me off. Good to hear your review, if I got three good years out of it it's definitely worth the money. 

petegunn 07 Jul 2020

My partner has a nabaji one from decathlon, she has had it a bit longer but also no problems. They seem very similar in style apart from hers being designed for women.

We normally swim between April - November in the lakes and they are warm enough with socks.

The zone3 socks are good but haven't lasted as long, the bottoms have worn out but lasted 2 years usage.

Post edited at 21:26
 Blue Straggler 07 Jul 2020

I’ve been using a Speedo “triathlon style” low-end cheapie from Decathlon for warmer-water freediving (and weekly pool freediving where the pool has a rule that we have to wear a wetsuit) for 4.5 years; it is supple and reasonably tough but as freediving is relatively gentle, I can’t say how long it would stand up to proper wild swimming and it’s probably unsuitable for canyoning. It did develop a minor tear which I easily patched. It was £90 but somehow I paid £50 for it; the current equivalent one would be about £130 now.

For canyoning you should probably use a different one to the one you use for swimming. I assume you want a supple and therefore fairly soft and thin one for swimming. For canyoning just some £40 thick shortie would seem more sensible and durable 

summo 07 Jul 2020

In a normal year you can often find companies selling off ex hire suits at the end of the triathlon season. They may have a few minor repairs. 

Canyoning.. better to find suits more suited to caving, or wear a long John wet suit under normal water proofs. 

Post edited at 21:55
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I think you are right that a cheap shorty second wetsuit could be a good option. I'm also thinking about making my old wetsuit into a sleeveless shorty as an option. I've got a friendly seamstress that can probably help. 

markk 07 Jul 2020

I've had a dhb Hydron Wetsuit for a couple of years - good value and lasted me well for open water swimming, though wouldn't be tough enough for canyoning. I see they now have an updated version of this on sale @ Wiggle.

North Coast Wetsuits (they do great value basic wetsuits, rash vests, heat seekers etc), Lomo Wetsuits and Alpkit probably all also worth a look too.

In reply to markk:

They are £88 on wiggle atm and look quite good. I might have a canyon wetsuit from the local free cycle for 30 quid too. 

Dave B 08 Jul 2020

Buy two wetsuits. 

Smooth outer wetsuits are pretty fragile in the grand scheme of things .

Is look at the the speedo proton. If it fits. Else, dhb are good value. And then a cheapo seconds hand or end of season surf one for the rougher requirements

Post edited at 08:21
 Toerag 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> For canyoning just some £40 thick shortie would seem more sensible and durable 

Shorties are no good for Canyoning and coasteering as they don't protect your knees when you're getting out of the water.  Depending on the agressiveness of the rock, a cheap 'trashing' wetsuit is what's required for canyoning and coasteering.

LastBoyScout 08 Jul 2020

I've got an Orca 3.8, bought ex-hire for about your budget from a stand at a triathlon I did. It's a good suit and fits me well.

They are fragile, though, as they're single lined and very thin - it's easy to tear them with fingernails and so on - worth getting a tube of Black Witch for repairs.

I've tried racing in a short sleeve wetsuit, before I bought the Orca, and it's restrictive in the shoulders, the buoyancy is all wrong - swimming suits are designed to help keep your body flat in the water by helping your hips and legs float - and the knitted outer sections are draggy.

You'd shred a swimming suit canyoning in it.

Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> Shorties are no good for Canyoning and coasteering as they don't protect your knees when you're getting out of the water.  Depending on the agressiveness of the rock, a cheap 'trashing' wetsuit is what's required for canyoning and coasteering.

Thanks, not sure what I was on about there really! I just meant a cheap thick one and wrongly wrote “shorty” just cos I used to have one! 

Dark-Cloud 08 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

I got one of these too, it's a great suit for the money,

OP: have a look look at Alpkit and LOMO too, they have some good suits for the money

If you want it for canyons and messing around in rivers just buy a £45 suit from LOMO, the Zone 3 would be in pieces within minutes

StefanB 08 Jul 2020

So, as others have said, swimming wetsuits are very different from wetsuits that can be used for going down canyons and other stuff that might involve friction. They are designed to be super smooth for water resistance and that makes them very delicate. I have gone through a couple that ripped just through not being too careful with fingernails when putting them on.

150 is a really low budget for swimming wetsuit. You are unlikely to get a very stretchy and very comfortable model, but you are likely to get one that floats really well since cheap models are often designed for relative beginners that can really benefit from having the legs lifted.

You really need to try them on, some triathlon shops put on events sponsored by brands to try out different models in the pool. For my body, Orca suits work really well, but the zone3 model I tried caused a big rash on my neck. For other people, it's the other way around, so highly individual.

If you can live with someone having peed in your wetsuit before you, there is also a decent second-hand market  

Post edited at 14:30
 summo 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel: or anyone.

You can get gloves to put them on with, but any gloves will protect the suit from finger nails whilst wrestling yourself into it. 

OP Baron Weasel 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Toerag:

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Co...

I think this might be a good canyoning wetsuit, anyone had any experience? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...