Wetherspoons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 24 Mar 2020

Well known millionaire, business owner and all round wankstain Tim Martin claimed a few days ago that you were much more likely to catch Covid19 in a supermarket than a pub and that his chain, Wetherspoons, should stay open.

Now they have been forced to close he has sacked his staff and suggested they should take a job in a supermarket.

https://twitter.com/grahamlithgow/status/1242382493841489921?s=09

Rob Parsons 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> Now they have been forced to close he has sacked his staff ...

That's not the case, is it?

Blue Straggler 24 Mar 2020

I saw this flash up this morning as a screengrab of a Tweet and had been hesitant to share it as there is a lot of "fake news" and other inaccurate meme stuff going around, but yes, I've now seen this confirmed. It's like he's in competition with Sports Direct to see who can be the first big bogeyman!

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> That's not the case, is it?

Not sacked, no.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52018360

Rob Parsons 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I saw this flash up this morning as a screengrab of a Tweet and had been hesitant to share it as there is a lot of "fake news" and other inaccurate meme stuff going around, but yes, I've now seen this confirmed.

It is 'fake news' in the way it's being suggested here, isn't it? It appears to be an out-of-control rumour.

In what way have you seen it 'confirmed'?

What he appears to have said is that, if any of his staff think it preferable to take another available job rather than the 80% furlough payment, then they're welcome to do that.

Post edited at 16:06
In reply to Rob Parsons:

He's still a total bellend though, isnt he.

Tom Valentine 24 Mar 2020

I  imagine there are pubs up and down the country which are weaseling their way round the guidelines one way or another, whether it's keeping an off sales door open (might as well sample the goods before I set off home) or real speakeasy style lock ins.

I don't know of any but I do know which pub in the village would be most likely to.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

I know of one village pub that had put up a stall on the village green after they had to shut the doors of the actual pub. Not sure what they are doing today though in light of last night’s announcement. 

marsbar 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

That and many similar incidents is why we have last nights lockdown

In reply to marsbar:

Indeed. Although in lighter news someone just popped round from a local volunteer agency with a flyer giving contact details for anyone who needed help while self isolating. There’s good stuff going on too. 

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> In what way have you seen it ‘confirmed’?

As I’ve already agreed with you that he hasn’t sacked staff, it should have been clear that I meant I’d seen it confirmed (insofar as I trust a news piece that has been sitting on the BBC News website for several hours) that he has suggested, even recommended, that staff apply for jobs at Tesco.

Connorh 24 Mar 2020

He hasn't sacked his staff at all ? you just made this up?

He has said if his staff wish to leave rather than receive the possibly delayed 80% Furlough, they can and they will be given preferential treatment should they decide to come back.

Post edited at 17:37
 GrantB 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I think the controversy really revolves around the suggestion that he will not pay the 80% of their wages, until he gets the money from the government, which could take a while to come through.

The getting a job at Tesco thing sounds like a good idea, but forcing people into it by delaying their wages is not so nice.  I don't think it's set in stone though, and the media attention will hopefully force him to change tack.

marsbar 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

There are lots of good things.  

Dax H 24 Mar 2020
In reply to GrantB:

> I think the controversy really revolves around the suggestion that he will not pay the 80% of their wages, until he gets the money from the government, which could take a while to come through.

> forcing people into it by delaying their wages is not so nice.  I don't think it's set in stone though, and the media attention will hopefully force him to change tack.

If the article is correct and he employees 40k people but zero money is coming in they may not have the money to pay the wages until they get the bailout cash.  Its not just people who live hand to mouth, a lot of businesses do too. 

In reply to marsbar:

I would love to hear the good things. I am all ears!

Neil Williams 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> If the article is correct and he employees 40k people but zero money is coming in they may not have the money to pay the wages until they get the bailout cash.  Its not just people who live hand to mouth, a lot of businesses do too. 

I suspect more businesses do than individuals TBH.  Particularly as this might have resulted in e.g. late payment of bills.

I found a bit of OU work on business accounting to be a real eye-opener.

Post edited at 21:14
 Dax H 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

I have lost count at the amount of business owners that have advised me to run mine on an overdraft and take every penny profit out that I can. That's not my way though, I like having a fairly cash rich business that I know is secure, 2 weeks ago ish I told all my staff that I could afford 3 to 4 months of full pay with no revenue coming in (only 10 at the moment). Its a comforting feeling for me and the guys and girls. I normally have a years worth of operating capital but the last few years trials have whittled it down a lot. 

Well that's not strictly true, I put %50 down on a couple of workshops and offices just before my business partner came down with Parkinsons and then a string of disasters like 2 heart attacks, a broken leg, a broken arm, 2 shoulder operations and 3 fingers cut off (3 different people) plus being screwed over for 50k ish means the deposit money hasn't built back up again yet but it will do. 

marsbar 24 Mar 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

New thread time I think. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...