Weird spring thing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Weird spring thing

A couple of years ago, in June, during a really long, hot, dry spell, a spring popped up in our school car park and has been happily carving a valley through  it ever since. A couple of weeks back, following the heaviest rain and worst flooding we've had in at least 5 years, it stopped and it flows no more. Any geologists (or other type of ologists) know why that might be? Not that I'm complaining, it was a pain in the .....

toad 07 Nov 2019
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Found another way out. Are you sure there isn't an incipient sink hole forming? Not saying there will be, but the water is doing something

In reply to toad:

We have had a sink hole in another part of the school grounds so maybe. There is a stream 20m to the side so it might be finding its way there.

> Weird spring thing

> A couple of years ago, in June, during a really long, hot, dry spell, a spring popped up in our school car park and has been happily carving a valley through  it ever since. A couple of weeks back, following the heaviest rain and worst flooding we've had in at least 5 years, it stopped and it flows no more. Any geologists (or other type of ologists) know why that might be? Not that I'm complaining, it was a pain in the .....

It's being bottled around the back .

Hay-on-wye finest natural car park water.

2 quid a bottle.

Rog Wilko 08 Nov 2019

Where we lived several years ago in a semi we had a small cellar. For many years it was dampish but never any water. Our neighbour's cellar had continual ingress of water in his cellar with often several inches of water. Then we had a prolonged drought and after that we had the wet cellar and his dried out. We decided that sub surface water flows had changed because in the drought subsoil contracted and opened up different pathways which were maintained when the subsoil re-wetted and expanded again, closing up the earlier pathways. Maybe something similar happened in your case.

> We have had a sink hole in another part of the school grounds so maybe. There is a stream 20m to the side so it might be finding its way there.

Do they build all schools on swamps and abandoned mines ? 

Ours seems to be similar.

" When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them.

It sank into the swamp.

So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp.

So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp.

But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of England."

John Ww 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\'

Do they build all schools on swamps and abandoned mines ? 

Well, they did with ours - built on top of an old coal mine (I still have the bore hole tests which show more voids than a Swiss cheese) yet they insisted on continuing. Guess what happened...

althesin 08 Nov 2019

Burst pipe? 

mcdougal 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Do they build all schools on swamps and abandoned mines ? 

Only when they can't find any Indian burial grounds.

In reply to althesin:

No, it was definitely not mains or sewage water, the man from Welsh water tested it. Plus, there are no water pipes in that area.

Dave the Rave 08 Nov 2019

> No, it was definitely not mains or sewage water, the man from Welsh water tested it. Plus, there are no water pipes in that area.

That’s no guarantee! I could taste leeks in Severn Trent water when I lived in England .

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Ha! The mains pipe runs about 60m away downhill from the area the spring rose and above it are miles and miles of the Black Mountains with no mains water supply!

In reply to mcdougal:

> Only when they can't find any Indian burial grounds.

Is there any indigenous indian tribes native to the UK ? 

Swamps it is then 🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...