Weather watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 08 Feb 2021

Wigan:  fresh dusting , sunny skies now. Looks ace out there. 

Billhook 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Whitby = Strong wind off the sea, heavy snow showers.  And no sun - we've not had any sun for well over a week.

mick taylor 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Billhook:

Think I’m pretty much downwind from you, so thanks for taking the brunt of it - blue skies here but a bit more snow wouldn’t go amiss, if you could arrange for that?

flatlandrich 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Suffolk: 150mm of snow in the last 36 hours, cloudy, still snowing lightly and forecast to continue for the next 24 hours. -2c.   It was +12c and sunny on Friday, I was working outdoors in a T-shirt so a proper change. 

Dan Arkle 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Billhook:

An inch of snow in Sheffield. Grey

Hopefully enough to sledge by this afternoon, if not then there is a lot of snow by the higher Western edges of the city.

wintertree 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

County Durham (North Pennines) - sunny spells, lots of storm clouds floating by in the distance, some come overhead.  A mix of small flakes and graupel.  Couple of inches lying where the wind hasn't stripped it into small drifts.  

The last couple of days have had a very "lake effect" feel to the snow, although much of it was sadly lost to warm ground.

We've had multiple heavy snowfalls this winter, and sustained periods of sub-zero temperatures.  Each seems to thaw about a day before the next one arrives; it's close to being the epic conditions seen around winters 09/10 and 10/11; coincidentally, now as then we're at the tail end of a solar cycle.

Post edited at 11:41
 coldfell 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Newbiggin, Penrith - bright blue skies and intermittent swirling light snow showers, hopefully get out for a walk in it this afternoon.

flatlandrich 08 Feb 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Definitely the most snow fall we've had in Suffolk in the last ten years or so. Rarely have more than a dusting that lasts longer than 24 hours. Some years we don't have any at all. Even the 'Beast from the East' didn't give us more than a light covering. 

I recall a post on here a few months ago predicting this was going to be the best winter for a while because we were all in lockdown....seems they were right!!

In reply to mick taylor:

South pembrokeshire, not even a frost this morning, but feels cold with brisk east winds. Forecast to get below zero this evening but no real snow forecast. 

Had a zoom with friend near avimore yesterday, they are having a great winter and have had some snow in their garden pretty much every day for nearly two months.

TobyA 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Dronfield - Derbyshire/S. Yorks border, 220 mtrs. Heavy falls of wet snow Saturday night, although quite a lot had melted by Sunday we still had enough to sledge and me ski in the fields across the road. Colder now -1 and has been snowing all morning, but its light fluffy 'cold' snow mainly so not accumulating quickly like Saturday night or last Tuesday when it was 'warm' wet snow.

Edit: just starting to snow a bit harder.

Mark Edwards 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Here in South East Wales it’s cold but felt colder yesterday and no snow or frost. The boggy field I take the dogs to has a frozen crust but feels springy under foot rather than solid. I filled two large and one small builders buckets with water yesterday and the ice is only just over half way despite being outside for over a day now at what the met office says is -1C. Hopefully the colder temperature tonight should permit the grandson and me to have a go at ice sculpting tomorrow.

bouldery bits 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Mid Devon.

Occasional flurry of flakes. Chilly!

hang_about 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Snowing on and off all day on the Sheffield Western Edges (700 feet+). Just walked to the shops and it's noticeable how little snow there is lower down. Walked up to Ringinglow yesterday afternoon and even a few hundred feet higher there was quite a lot more snow. Powdery and dry snow today unlike wet snow of Sat night. It will be blowing into drifts on the higher ground I imagine. Not huge depths, but pretty (and enough to keep me off the road bike)

LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Reading. Snowing equivalent of drizzle, but actually seems to be showing signs of settling now.

Removed User 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

It was -37 here yesterday morning, -30 the day before. Sat and watched a large Grey Wolf movng out over the frozen lake. He didn't seem to mind the cold

PaulJepson 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed User:

Let me guess; Milton Keynes? 

Removed User 08 Feb 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Let me guess; Milton Keynes? 

Probably the same latitude

static266 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Eastern Snowdonia. It’s been just below freezing all day with an occasional light flurry of snow. My valley is usually pretty sheltered from westerly winds but completely open to the north & east so bitterly cold. I’ve got a keen eye on the 5m cascade in the stream next to my garden!

Timmd 08 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

There's 2 or 3 inches of snow up around the west side of Sheffield from walking around, and there's been pictures on facebook of it being deeper out in the Peak (Burbage area).

Post edited at 19:50
 bouldery bits 10 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Mid Devon update!!!

Icing sugar!!!

Today's bike commute was nice and slidey - and then my rear caliper decide that 'on' was a permanent state of being. 

Just defrosting fingers now....

Fat Bumbly2 10 Feb 2021

East Lothian

skiing possible on the links and coast path. More fallen since last nights tour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...