Waterboarding - anyone tried it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrphilipoldham 09 Jun 2021

A favourite amongst the terrorist interrogators, but has anyone on here actually tried it?

yeti 09 Jun 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

nope, but then i'm not keen on swimming

I can recommend being shot with a tazer, thats fun ...

Removed User 09 Jun 2021

A version of it, yes (as the subject that is). Interesting but deeply unpleasant. 

Kalna_kaza 09 Jun 2021

I was at university when water boarding was in the news a lot. At a house party someone volunteered (it might have been a drunken dare to see how long they could last) to lay on a coffee table whilst being held down. As the table was tilted with their head down hill, a tea towel was pulled across their face and a combination of water and beer poured straight over him. Almost immediately he started screaming for it to stop, such was the real terror in his voice did it bring the whole house to a standstill. Kind of took the energy out of the party.

John2 09 Jun 2021

Christopher Hitchens used to write a column for Vanity Fair. Every month the editor would give him a different assignment, he would have to carry it out and write it up. He claimed that being waterboarded was less painful than receiving a bikini wax.

Fozzy 09 Jun 2021
In reply to John2:

I’d happily attempt to verify that using Hitchens’ brother. 

Removed User 09 Jun 2021
In reply to John2:

> He claimed that being waterboarded was less painful than receiving a bikini wax.

He wasn't quite as trite about it as just that. Yes, it doesn't sting, but that's not what it works on. 

youtube.com/watch?v=t2EptxXczx4&

I tried it without being fully restrained (velcro cuffs) and it's properly distressing as it's not containable with any logic, working directly on the panic reflex. As much as you know about it and are in controlled circumstances, it doesn't matter. After the first go, the fear of experiencing it again becomes 50% of the state you get into, where your reality becomes a tunnel of dread fixated on having to go through it again. There's also the fear that the people doing it might get it wrong, or push it too far, something of course played on. It's hazy legality was based on the claim it was mock execution, and a counter claim that it wasn't because the subjects knew in itself it wasn't meant to kill them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...