Washing machine woes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Jun 2021

The laundry in my washing machine is coming out hot and damp after the spin cycle, as if it has been rinsed in hot water (it's a cold fill only machine BTW and not a drier).

Now it's been through the wars a bit and I have previously had to remove the thermal fuse from the motor so I'm a bit nervous as to anything involving it getting too 'hot'!

Any ideas? I don't think it is just stopping at the end of the hot wash cycle, as the the clothes are clean/dry as if they've been through a proper rinse and 1200 spin.

Post edited at 10:36
 Graeme G 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Removed User:

I’d suggest joining a club, or maybe do a course somewhere like Glenmore.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was a climbing website 😉

Cobra_Head 03 Jun 2021

The motor wouldn't be able to heat the water, unless it set on fire of course.

Do you use conditioner, if so check this is being used up. Other than that you'de have to watch it go through the complete cycle to make sure it's rinsing.

What make and model is it?

Ours does some weird stuff sometimes, but I think it's a dodgy selector knob, it's usually OK if you make sure it on the correct setting before starting a wash.

Removed User 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

Any one that has been on here a long time is under no illusion the majority traffic has anything to do with climbing...

Removed User 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

It's a bit of a pain cos it's in the cellar. Just had a thought, maybe I'll film it!

Post edited at 12:09
 elliot.baker 03 Jun 2021

Yeah there's just an implication/understanding that between them climbers can provide advice on any subject from how to raise kids to how to fix a washing machine, or carry a fully-laden canoe across a mountain or deal with any medical or legal issue, in any country.

> It's a bit of a pain cos it's in the cellar. Just had a thought, maybe I'll film it!

I’m partway through watching “The Pact” on BBC iPlayer and I’d gladly switch to your washing machine film - let us know when it’s released. 

Neil Williams 03 Jun 2021

If it's cold fill i.e. has a water heater, my guess would be that whatever relay (or physical switch if it's ancient) in the controller turns the water heater on and off is stuck and is leaving it turned on, so the water is being heated in all cycles and not just the main wash.  Probably a replacement controller (or machine!) needed.

I'd think fairly unlikely to be another component overheating and incidentally heating the water.

Credentials: DIYer, not pro, to be fair.

Post edited at 12:46
 Cobra_Head 03 Jun 2021

> It's a bit of a pain cos it's in the cellar. Just had a thought, maybe I'll film it!

Maybe it's just angry at being ignored and kept in the dark, then.

Cobra_Head 03 Jun 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

> Yeah there's just an implication/understanding that between them climbers can provide advice on any subject from how to raise kids to how to fix a washing machine, or carry a fully-laden canoe across a mountain or deal with any medical or legal issue, in any country.

Quite right too!

Removed User 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yes that would seem to be a possibility. I'll try and measure the voltage drop across the element during the cycle (assuming its easily accessible!).

I must say my patience for pissing about with electricals is not what it was and I have resurrected this machine twice now...

Actually I can't see that hot rinse water is necessarily an issue, maybe I should just leave it! I'm on solar panels here so my conscience can remain clear...

Post edited at 12:54
 Greenbanks 03 Jun 2021

I've received some brilliant support to some very mundane queries that I've raised on UKC - these have been very much non-climbing related. The knowledge/experience capital available on here makes it a very sensible source for authentic & reliable information. Of course, there's a lot of banter from some of the usual suspects. But I've often been impressed with the advice I've  been given - and which has usually been freely and copiously offered

Post edited at 12:57

The only concern I'd have is if the element stays hot when the machine has drained between cycles, in which case it might be a fire hazard.

Post edited at 13:04
 Graeme G 03 Jun 2021

> Any one that has been on here a long time is under no illusion the majority traffic has anything to do with climbing...

I know. Just having a laugh…..

Snyggapa 03 Jun 2021

Stuck heater relay is not a bad shout. hardonicus, does it feel like everything has been washed much too hot, I.e. do you now feel like a giant in tiny clothing?

Post edited at 13:13

> Yeah there's just an implication/understanding that between them climbers can provide advice on any subject

In my 20 or so years on UKC, I've found that understanding is pretty accurate...

Cobra_Head 03 Jun 2021

> The only concern I'd have is if the element stays hot when the machine has drained between cycles, in which case it might be a fire hazard.

There's a level limit switch on most machines, to stop it burning out, and a built in thermostat in the element also.

elsewhere 03 Jun 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

> Stuck heater relay is not a bad shout. hardonicus, does it feel like everything has been washed much too hot, I.e. do you now feel like a giant in tiny clothing?

Doesn't everybody after lockdown?

In reply to Cobra_Head:

> There's a level limit switch on most machines, to stop it burning out, and a built in thermostat in the element also.

Ta, so I guess it'd just come on when the water had filled in that case?  No fire risk then, unless the stuck relay itself posed one.

Toby_W 03 Jun 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

Brilliant!

Toby

Toby_W 03 Jun 2021

As several above have mentioned I think it awful you keep your other half in the basement doing the washing.  Let them out now and again and they might start spinning the washing properly and not get so hot and bothered😉

Cheers

Toby

coinneach 03 Jun 2021

Ditch the washing machine.

Buy a Skoda Octavia.

Job done !

Blue Straggler 03 Jun 2021

> Actually I can't see that hot rinse water is necessarily an issue, maybe I should just leave it! I'm on solar panels here so my conscience can remain clear...

I got this far in the thread still wondering what it was that was broken and what the issue was! Makes sense finally 

pec 03 Jun 2021

Maybe it just needs a good talking to, like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=tAGlUUAmjxk&

One other possibility is that, if it has a rotary programme dial, you set it to a hot wash; I did this accidentally a few months back*. Even though the rinses are cold, the washing is still warm at the end of the cycle, from the residual heat from a 95C wash.

* The clothes survived, though some of the synthetics acquired a semi-permanent creasing...

CantClimbTom 06 Jun 2021

How many years have you owned it?

<10 get it repaired ( by someone who is not you, because you remove thermal fuses )

>10 take it to be recycled

Post edited at 15:43
Removed User 06 Jun 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

About 8 years but it gets some hammer with 4 kids.

I can confirm a straight rinse cycle is cold. Further investigations will have to wait until I get home. I'll keep you all posted

Removed User 06 Jun 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

I've lost the moniker of my patagonia nano air hoody which suggests it was a pretty hot wash. This is a interesting possibility.

CantClimbTom 06 Jun 2021

I've noticed that if I do a 30degree super quickwash and I have a load of heavy towels it's wet so I follow it up with an additional full-long spin, it comes out a little warm and much less wet.

If I do 2 extra full-long spins it isn't much drier than 1, so not worth doing, but it does come out noticeably warm.

The warmth could be from final spin? Not sure about hot though, that sounds wrong.

I've only got 3 kids (not 4) but that's enough so I only get 5-8 years out of a machine. Get a new one.. sorry

Post edited at 18:43
Blanche DuBois 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

> I've received some brilliant support to some very mundane queries that I've raised on UKC - these have been very much non-climbing related. The knowledge/experience capital available on here makes it a very sensible source for authentic & reliable information. Of course, there's a lot of banter from some of the usual suspects. But I've often been impressed with the advice I've  been given - and which has usually been freely and copiously offered

There are occasionally a few people who reply to such threads and bring some genuine knowledge and insight into the issue bring discussed, but mostly they get drowned out by the usual gobshites and cock wavers who have an opinion on everything and are (in their own minds) expert on pretty much everything.  A few have turned up in this thread.  If you have a "niche" question, then you're far better off "googling" or finding a forum that deals with that "niche" topic.

felt 07 Jun 2021

> I've lost the moniker of my patagonia nano air hoody 

So not all bad then.

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

> There are occasionally a few people who reply to such threads and bring some genuine knowledge and insight into the issue bring discussed, but mostly they get drowned out by the usual gobshites and cock wavers who have an opinion on everything and are (in their own minds) expert on pretty much everything.  A few have turned up in this thread.  If you have a "niche" question, then you're far better off "googling" or finding a forum that deals with that "niche" topic.

That depends on your ability to filter out the gobshites and cock wavers. On numerous occasions I've done better on here than on niche forums, admittedly partly because I recognise the names of frequently helpful and knowledgable regulars. On niche forums, you might end up following bad advice from someone who, unbeknownst to you, is a gobshite or cock waver! And of course you might not - I do refer to them on matters where I don't get help here or on my Facebook account. 

Cobra_Head 07 Jun 2021

You could always try this, it looks like a perfect way to sort out any washing machine problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBSI8ZBzQ&

Cobra_Head 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

ha ha gobshite!!

Ironymeter has a bent needle now, cheers!

jkarran 07 Jun 2021

> The only concern I'd have is if the element stays hot when the machine has drained between cycles, in which case it might be a fire hazard.

If that were happening it'd have likely burned out ages ago, assuming it's left plugged in.

My guess is it's not quite draining properly, that the rinse is usually warm but it's retaining some water during the spin. Whenever mine goes wrong it's the drain trap bunged up with part-dissolved coins, mangled ear-rings and rubber bands.

jk

Post edited at 11:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...