VW caddy injectors and emmisions update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Totally stuck with this dilema.. wondered if anyone on UKC has advice!?

I have a caddy van (62 plate) with the 1.6tdi engine that has crap fuel injectors. One blew 2 years ago.. got it fixed.. one went last night and I'm just about to pay the £600 to fix number 2...

Don't normally use the dealer, but they have offered the emmisions s/w fix and informed me about the 2 year good will warranty if I take the fix which would cover the engine management, all injectors etc for 2 years!

In all likely hood after fixing this one the other 2 will pop, so I will have to fix these..

I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about the s/w update... 

But my question.. is it true, or for the majority of people is it ok on their vehicle?

And as my vehicle has been a time bomb already with the injectors up to now I'm thinking the update could give 2 years worry free motoring (with these issues, not other stuff of course).. am I being naive?

Thanks.

P.s. I need to decide tomorrow

Myfyr Tomos 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

In a similar quandary. Have a 15 plate Caddy and had the emissions s/w "update" when recommended by the dealer. About 4 months later and still very  low mileage, (17,000) an injector went. contacted the dealer, and they repaired it free of charge as a VW goodwill gesture. On asking if they'd replace the other three, I was told there was no need... Has been fine since and has passed 40,000 without missing a beat. Super little van but there's always this niggling worry. When I change, it'll be a 2 litre Caddy. Or electric...

Good luck.

Pedro50 19 Oct 2020

Skoda fabia here. 2 fuel injectors failures at about 60k and 70k. First one told very rare by skoda. 2nd one told very common by roadside assistance man who was carrying spares. I declined the software update ages ago. Time to trade in I think.

facet 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Totally same! I wonder if I will get the update then in just under 2 years get rid for 2.0 or electric if viable. The van is ideal in every other practical way!

facet 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

Is that the 1.6 engine also? 2 x AA patrols collecting me from the roadside have said that they are forever picking up VW 1.6 vehicles with blown injectors. They told me the most reliable car is a Honda Jazz (much to my friend's amusement as he has one and I rib him about it mainly as it's bright yellow!)!

Pedro50 19 Oct 2020
In reply to facet:

1.6 diesel i think. 

Anti-faff 19 Oct 2020

I have a 62 reg 1.6 Caddy Maxi and one of the injectors went on it last year (180k on the clock at the time). I toy with the idea of changing to a 2 litre but other than that one issue with the injector and it being a bit short of grunt it’s been faultless, I’ve had it for just over four years. Mind you, it was only £328 for the injector change, I might feel differently if it was £700!

spragglerocks 19 Oct 2020

I had a low mileage Caddy, 12 plate 1.6 blue motion engine.  1 injector went whilst still in warranty, 1 went just after warranty so I had to pay for that one.  I also had the emissions update done - which was fine.  It got written off a few years back but it did bug me at the time re the injectors.

If you get a 2 year warranty on the injectors for having the emissions update done, I'd go for it.  For what it is worth I stopped putting supermarket fuel in the Caddy and didn't have a problem after that.  It's not the fuel itself but the additives that the likes of BP and Shell put in that make the difference to how your engine runs.  Might have been a coincidence but I didn't have to pay out another £700 or so for an injector.  

In reply to spragglerocks:

Thanks for that. Yes I stopped using supermarket fuel after he first injector went. I'm coming to the conclusion it makes sense. Just heard from someone locally who had the the update done... 2 injectors went nearly straight away (so repaired free), then the other 2 went after 18 months, so were also fixed free. Its been fine since then!

Liam P 19 Oct 2020

Ive got a 64 plate 1.6 Caddy and an injector went last month (45k on the clock). They should last 50-100k so not overly concerned. £600 seems a rip off though! Think I paid £400 which I thought was steep. 

I’ve also had a glow plug go, but other than that it’s ran fine. Great climbing van for stealth camping without the lay-by blocking rep of the Transporter/Sprinter etc.

In reply to Liam P:

Just an update incase anyone reads this thread. I got the injector replaced at my cost, had the free emissions software update and it really is different!

The stuff I had read about but didn't believe is already happening. Noticeably less power and worse mpg... but the most worrying aspect is the noise from the engine, it really rattles and sounds like it's now being powered by a noisy giant industrial sewing machine. Probably now going to sell it ASAP. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...