Voice doubles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 22 Oct 2020

We've all had that experience of seeing someone in the flesh or on TV and thinking he/she's a dead ringer for someone else. But what about voice doubles? I've been enjoying a series of 15 minute programmes on radio 4 called Profile, presented by Mark Coles (very good listen, they are too).  Without fail, every time I hear his first few words my heart skips a beat and I think"That's John Peel back from the dead".

Jon Stewart 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It turns out that a regular poster on here is the voice double of radio 4's Tim Harford. 

felt 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

He suffers from something of an irritating lilt to his voice that reminds me of Evan Davis (let's hope it's just his "broadcasting" voice). I want to tell him, "You don't need to go up and down all the time in that annoying rhythm to sound interesting."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000n4vq

OP Rog Wilko 22 Oct 2020
In reply to felt:

I don't mind that as long as it doesn't include the antipodean terminal uptick. What I do mind is the ever increasing tendency of serious programmes about often complex issues feeling they need to have silly and pointless "background" music. Surely anyone wanting listen to, say, analysis of vote rigging in the USA doesn't need keeping on board with musical tit-bits. Speaking as someone with much less than perfect hearing these days, I find this is the aural equivalent of magazines printing text in black on the dark areas of a photograph.

Victor Meldrew

wercat 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've recently started to listen to RTE 1 on long wave, comes through well in the Penrith area.  I stumbled on it while testing a 1960 Ever Ready (Berec) Auto-Portable in a picnic box style which I'd just fixed.  It's on 252kHz just up from R4 and it usually leaves me with a smile on my face as an antidote to the constant bitching and anti-man stuff on R4 through the day.

English language radio from the EU, who would have thunk it?

Post edited at 18:50
OP Rog Wilko 23 Oct 2020
In reply to wercat:

> as an antidote to the constant bitching and anti-man stuff on R4 through the day.

I must be listening to a different radio than you.

Jon Stewart 23 Oct 2020
In reply to wercat:

There should be more bitching on R4. I listen to it all day and hardly hear any.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...