Virtual Protest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 25 May 2020

How would a virtual political protest work? Seems completely  feasible to me.

Some platform that can handle hundreds of thousands of users, where you register and log in at a specified time to see live speeches and click buttons for support, add comments to chat, etc?

Since you wouldn't have to get off your arse, the numbers would be massive, and there could be absolutely no doubt about public opinion. 

We could see exactly how many would vote 

JOHNSON OUT

Anyone got any ideas what sort of platform could support this - Facebook? I'm now a member of the Labour Party, who should definitely be thinking along these lines.

Tom Valentine 25 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Since you wouldn't have to get off your arse....

........... it would probably be more representative since the 18-25 group might participate.

Pan Ron 25 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Starting your own Birther movement?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

You would need multiple platforms to reach everyone. Fb is used mostly by older people for example.

jkarran 25 May 2020
In reply to Pan Ron:

> Starting your own Birther movement?

Birther as in the made up conspiracy nonsense Trump and assorted nuts used to undermine faith in American democracy en route to power? I'm not seeing the connection to legitimate public protest in a time where mass gatherings are unsafe. Could you explain?

Jk

Post edited at 11:29
OP Jon Stewart 25 May 2020
In reply to Pan Ron:

> Starting your own Birther movement?

No, you idiot.

Given the groundswell of public anger about the government's handling of the crisis, particularly lying about Cummings, I think it would be a good idea for Labour to stage an online protest which would give a measure of public opinion. 

krikoman 26 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> We could see exactly how many would vote 

> JOHNSON OUT

I'll vote for Johnsons Out, I've already started, lady in the street wasn't that impressed, but I'm pretty certain she's a Tory anyhow.

I'd like to suggest a "Day of Rage", just because it sounds exciting, though I don't really know what might be involved.

OP Jon Stewart 26 May 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> I'll vote for Johnsons Out, I've already started, lady in the street wasn't that impressed

What about the officials at the polling booth? 

Niall_H 26 May 2020
In reply to Pan Ron:

What would you be suggesting by that question?

Siward 26 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Remarkably, the tories are still riding high in the polls, well above labour. Rage away but the election has been had and the entirely predictable outcome was the ten years plus of tory government we have now. Sigh. 

Andy Hardy 26 May 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> I'd like to suggest a "Day of Rage", just because it sounds exciting, though I don't really know what might be involved.

I don't think I could do a whole day. How about a "Huffy Hour"? The housemartins could re-form and release a protest single to go along with it...

OP Jon Stewart 26 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I don't think I could do a whole day. How about a "Huffy Hour"? The housemartins could re-form and release a protest single to go along with it...

I've already been working on the lyrics for "Caravan of Incandescent Fury".

Siward 27 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Never confuse the PMs approval rating with voting intentions. The latest polls I can find still show a clear tory lead. I think Bojo will just ride this out UNLESS there is some nuclear material waiting to explode under him.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/issue/Voting_Intention

We'll still have a tory government for the next ten years....

Post edited at 07:04
OP Jon Stewart 27 May 2020
In reply to Siward:

We haven't had any real response from starmer yet. A lot of people probably think Jeremy corbyn is still the opposition. 

> We'll still have a tory government for the next ten years....

You might be right, but we don't know that, and there is no advantage in believing it. In fact, believing it is an excuse to carry on being humiliated by the splatter of excrement who are supposed to be in charge now. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...