Vertical Limit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lurking Dave 16 Jun 2020

A piece of cinematic genius, as I am sure you will agree.

But now we learn that it had a higher message, life saving medical advice for a future respiratory pandemic. I am in awe.

SouthernSteve 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Lurking Dave:

This is an odd piece of news – not that anyone can ascribe anything good to that film, but that steroids reduce inflammation in an inflammatory disease. Although there is always been concern in using such drugs in infectious disease as they suppress 'immunity' they are an obvious choice in a disease in which a cytokine storm is noted. 

In reply to SouthernSteve:

>  not that anyone can ascribe anything good to that film,

What? I thought it was a documentry!

damowilk 17 Jun 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I’d always thought that the benefit of steroids in sepsis was that the body was depleted of its own endogenous steroid. Generally using anti-inflammatories in all their forms eventually gets shown to impair outcomes, and other attempts to interrupt the inflammatory process like Activated Protien C etc. 

I’ll be surprised if there is any benefit of steroids in pre-hospital or milder cases, but prepared to be proved wrong (by good evidence, not rubbish studies with no placebo by attention-seeking French professors!😉)

Graeme G 17 Jun 2020

> A piece of cinematic genius, as I am sure you will agree.

So good my mate and I bought 4 tickets for the 2 of us. Worth every doubly expensive moment. 

SouthernSteve 17 Jun 2020
In reply to damowilk:

https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3284 gives an interesting outlook from people - definitely some controversy.  I would have thought a JAK-1 inhibitor would probably do a really good job in those cases with cytokine storm signs, but these are only available in veterinary medicine. 

bouldery bits 17 Jun 2020

Thanks for the reminder. I need to pick up some Nitro for my next scrambling trip. 

Pbob 18 Jun 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

I remember going to watch it at the cinema with a couple of mates. We laughed so much we got told off by someone sitting behind. Best comedy film of the year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...