Van insurance for visitors to drive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 09 Jun 2022

Our daughter and partner whose normal domicile is Australia are visiting and would like to go off in our van for a week or so, but getting insurance cover for them to drive is proving (next to?) impossible. So far underwriters will only extend insurance to people resident in the UK, although both have dual citizenship. Is there a legal way around this problem?

Jenny C 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Update your policy to cover any driver?

SDM 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I can't help with an answer but I'll be interested if you find a solution as we are likely to be in the same position in a few weeks. Please update the thread if you find an answer elsewhere.

My sister and her partner will be visiting from Australia. UK citizens but they had to swap their UK licences for Australian ones after they had been over there for a certain period of time.

Haven't looked at putting them on my van insurance yet but I know they've looked at insurance on a car and found it was going to be prohibitively expensive (I forget the exact figure but I think it was a few thousand for a few weeks!).

OP Rog Wilko 09 Jun 2022
In reply to SDM:

I forgot to mention they both have UK driving licences.

BruceM 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have van insurance with Sterling (was HIC) and I think they do a tourist insurance which is for people visiting from places like Oz for short periods of time and traveling Europe in vans.

Could be wrong, but maybe worth checking them out.  They might have something that could cover you, or rather your kids.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Did this for a car recently, so I'd guess a van is also possible - we just used Temporary Cover, which the guests (one NL and one Brazilian) actually took out themselves. It wasn't cheap £170/wk but that was still worth it compared to £700 for car hire.

Sterling / HIC give them a phone rather than trying to do it online. 

OP Rog Wilko 10 Jun 2022
In reply to BruceM:

And Alasdair. Thanks to both. Sterling is doing the job. Just awaiting a price. We are getting a two week cover from them, but they don’t work a long way in advance  - can’t fix it till a month before the start date.

timjones 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I forgot to mention they both have UK driving licences.

It should be possible with a UK driving licence, I managed to extend cover on a car for my brother in law who lives in Portugal when he was visiting last year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...