van hire excess insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nigel n 06 Sep 2021

We normally hire a van from Enterprise for a trip in the autumn.  I know that excess insurance through the rental company is inordinately expensive.  Does anyone have any recommendations for people who provide this type of single trip insurance.  As far as I can see you can get multi trip insurance for car hire but not for vans.

Neil Williams 06 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

FWIW after an experience with a hire car (not van) I'd always go with their insurance and just price it in.  A group of us hired a car in Italy a while back and did take their insurance (the reason for this being that the main driver of that car didn't have a credit card so they insisted on it) and unfortunately we did quite badly damage it in an accident with a tunnel wall (though still driveable).  I had to return it and was nervous as hell about how awkward it might be to explain, and they just said something like "hmm, let's check...yes, you've taken the insurance, so no problem" and off I walked as if it was pristine.

When you've got a flight to catch that has huge value in my book.

OP nigel n 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks Neil

Toccata 06 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

I've used both Eversure and Leisure Guard, the former paying out no quibbles for a (entirely fabricated) claim of damage. However over the years I've noted the price between the hire company excess insurance and separate policies has narrowed dramatically.

OP nigel n 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Toccata:

Good to hear that Eversure paid out so readily but I think they only do cars, not vans.  As you say the difference between the price quoted by Leisure Guard and that from Enterprise is not that great.

LastBoyScout 06 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

Clink link on the left menu for beating the excess insurance. I've taken it out a few times, but not yet had to claim on it.

If you go with the hire company, make sure they "actually" add it - my sister had a run-in with Hertz in Australia where it was supposed to have been added but the agent somehow missed adding it to the agreement and then she had all sorts of trouble when a kangaroo did significant damage to the car.

remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

I've used these people before https://www.insurance4carhire.com/ for an annual car hire excess policy, looks like they do a similar setup for vans. Worked out as good value as we'll typically hire a car a few times a year.

I've had to claim once and it was straightforward (filled in a form, sent a few pics), there was something slightly unusual about the payments made to the hire company too but that didnt seem to be a problem and I was repaid in full. One downside is that you do have to pay the excess yourself and then claim back afterwards which means you're out of pocket for a couple of weeks while the claim goes through.

james wardle 08 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/car-hire-insurance

are used/recommended by most of the private camper van hirers in the UK 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...