Vaccine disinformation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MuckyMorris 10 Nov 2021

Like to commend the moderators for taking down a covid vaccine disinformation post faster than I could type up a half page rant in reply Unless maybe the poster withdrew it - there is that possibility. Now if only facebook- sorry, Meta was as efficient. 

Yes I know, don't feed the trolls....

mrphilipoldham 10 Nov 2021
In reply to MuckyMorris:

What was it this time? 

rj_townsend 10 Nov 2021
In reply to MuckyMorris:

If this is the one from Reemarkable I think I was the first to click on it it and reported it - it can only have been there for about a minute!

john arran 10 Nov 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> What was it this time? 

I don't think giving wilful misinformation further airtime is in anyone's interest, other than that of the malicious muckspreader.

In reply to john arran:

Agreed, but I’d be interested to know what the (mis)information was, all the same? 5G? Bill Gates? Or something new to watch out for?

In reply to MuckyMorris:

> Now if only facebook- sorry, Meta was as efficient. 

I accidentally clicked on one of WHO's FB covid information posts the other day. The comments underneath were the most batshit crazy I've seen for a long time. Quite a lot of religious nutjobbery about it all being God's will/Jesus will protect us in amongst the denialist stuff, too.

As they say, never read the comments...

Post edited at 13:10
 Wainers44 10 Nov 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > Now if only facebook- sorry, Meta was as efficient. 

> I accidentally clicked on one of WHO's FB covid information posts the other day. The comments underneath were the most batshit crazy I've seen for a long time. Quite a lot of religious nutjobbery about it all being God's will/Jesus will protect us in amongst the denialist stuff, too.

> As they say, never read the comments...

Head in hands moment for me last night was the trainee GP on the beeb calling the vaccination a medical "procedure" and arguing she didn't need a vaccination as she'd had covid.

Not a lot of strategic or public health thinking going on there.

FactorXXX 10 Nov 2021

> What was it this time? 

It causes Acrophobia.

In reply to FactorXXX:

No wonder it was deleted. Pressure from the website sponsors no doubt  

blurty 10 Nov 2021
In reply to MuckyMorris:

A mate in Australia, who is normally pretty sound is putting this type of anti-vaxx stuff on his facebook page all the time. I've given up talking with him about it - it would ruin the friendship 

Lankyman 10 Nov 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It causes Acrophobia.

Fear of the Acropolis?

skog 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Fear of the Acropolis?

Or, fear of losing your marbles?

ThunderCat 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Fear of the Acropolis?

Fear of acrobats 

Wainers44 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Fear of the Acropolis?

Isnt that  a Scottish policeman who's fallen over?

ranger*goy 10 Nov 2021
In reply to MuckyMorris:

Someone keeps sticking anti vax posters on the post box next door to our house. I’m dying to catch them at it to see if it’s someone local to the village. We keep tearing them off as soon as we see them.

wintertree 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ranger*goy:

The "white rose" nonsense?  Some of the ones posted on the London underground apparently had razor blades behind them to cause injury to people removing them.  They keep cropping up in some local parks and nature reserves out our way, a right bugger to remove they are too.

Edit: Reading the article properly - the report was of a poster elsewhere having a razor blade on it, leading to the London underground giving their staff an advisory on how to safely remove posters where this was a potential concern.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-transport-razor-blad...

Post edited at 15:56
 Neil Williams 10 Nov 2021

You can find that sort of junk all over posts from most media outlets, LBC is particularly bad for it.

In reply to wintertree:

That was all debunked as attention seeking from one particular twitter user (the woman in Wales). Let's not go down the route of propagating misinformation.. eh.

Ian W 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Head in hands moment for me last night was the trainee GP on the beeb calling the vaccination a medical "procedure" and arguing she didn't need a vaccination as she'd had covid.

> Not a lot of strategic or public health thinking going on there.

Indeed. And there was me thinking it was a GP's job to persuade people it was a good thing to get jabbed. hopefully the GMC will be taking this into account when considering whether she is suitable to be a fully qualified GP. and if it was the beeb's attempt to show all sides of a story, and balance in reporting, they should be ashamed; that will be significant fuel to the anti vaxxers argument.

Bottom Clinger 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

Its the Scottish version of the Criminal Records Office. True, for once  

https://www.acro.police.uk/

wintertree 10 Nov 2021

> That was all debunked as attention seeking from one particular twitter use

I had not seen that, please feel free to share a goid quality link to this as I would be interested to see it.  I haven't found a summary of the outcome of the police investigation.

I did in posting the article say "apparently"; it was a bit wooly at the time but appeared to be a genuine concern.  I re-visited my post as I did not accurately summarise the content of the article in my post.

> Let's not go down the route of propagating misinformation.. eh.

Quite.  

Post edited at 15:59
 Stichtplate 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Head in hands moment for me last night was the trainee GP on the beeb calling the vaccination a medical "procedure" and arguing she didn't need a vaccination as she'd had covid.

I have been equal parts amazed, confused and disheartened at the number of colleagues and friends who have declared themselves unvaccinated and unwilling to get vaccinated following the government announcement on mandatory jabs for frontline NHS.

I’m trying to sum up the energy to post something on Facebook debunking the many vaccine misconceptions that have become common currency amongst people who I’d have thought would know better.

Currently too appalled/flabbergasted to make the effort

Billhook 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Unwilling??  The'll get re deployed or if they refuse to be redeployed they;ll end up likely being dismissed.

I wonder if these people know or understand that many professions demand that you are vaccinated for certain diseases?

balmybaldwin 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Billhook:

Or indeed require all sorts of personal & medical information to be shared with your employer

ranger*goy 10 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Yeh I’ve just looked at a picture of one that I took and it mentions white rose.

OP MuckyMorris 10 Nov 2021

yep there was a fair amount of religious f*cknuttery in the comments on this one as well. And for info it was posted by Reemarkable as correctly identified by townsend.

Normally try to avoid commenting on these things - I once waded into a brexit thread in support of a friend - hmmm...

But having a very close family member very close to dying from covid I thought it was worth it this time

Kean 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Situation is depressingly similar here in Italy. I quickly added up the number of people I see regularly - good friends, parents of my son's play chums, colleagues - who are refusing to be vaccinated. I got to 11 without much effort. Shocking and bewildering. 2 of them are posting nonsense on FB. 

bruxist 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ranger*goy:

I think I've posted this before but guess it's worth posting again. The Skeptic mag has a really good three-part investigation of the White Rose conspiracy group. Most enlightening how it leads pretty rapidly from anti-mask and anti-vax stuff to far-right white supremacism, US antisemitism, and the likes of Tommy Robinson.

First part of the article is here: https://www.skeptic.org.uk/2021/07/inside-the-white-rose-the-covid-conspira...

In reply to MuckyMorris:

I really feel like we should all live an let live. I'm not an antivaxxer in any way and in fact I DID get my vaccination shots because it's what I felt was right. 

If others don't want to put it in their body for fear of long term side effects or anything else who am I or anyone else to force that... 

I agree that on both sides the misinformation needs to stop all together. Spreading misinformation is extremely hurtful to many people. 

summo 10 Nov 2021
In reply to @drenaline_junki3!:

Welcome back. Only 6 months as a sleeper account, losing your touch.

Graeme G 10 Nov 2021
In reply to summo:

Beat me to it!

summo 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> Beat me to it!

They even logged in with another account to like their own post. Not entirely losing their touch. 

In reply to summo:

That’s misinformation. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...