US visa with a teenage reprimand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fozzy 04 Sep 2021

I’ve been invited to visit family in the USA next year, and have started looking at travel arrangements. 
However, I received a reprimand for cannabis possession when I was 17 (nearly 19 years ago now), where I was nicked and taken into the station to receive my formal telling off. I’ve been good as gold since, that’s my only negative interaction with the police. 
Does stuff like that show up on the yank systems? I don’t fancy having to go through the more complicated visa process for something that is now pretty much an irrelevance. 

Robert Durran 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Just tick the "moral turpitude" box on the form they give you on the plane. Let us know how it goes (I've always wondered....).

OP Fozzy 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

My research so far suggests that it’s not a ‘crime of moral turpitude’, but admission of it would render me ineligible for ESTA & I’d have to do the proper visa procedure, including paying over £100 for the pleasure. All a bit ridiculous considering it was just an official bollocking for smoking a joint & having another 8th of hash in my pocket. 

Post edited at 21:26
 Queenie 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Quite different from your misdemeanor: At 25, my other half was charged with criminal damage (during a very drunken night out), 30yrs before applying for a US visa a couple of years ago. He did have to go through the more complicated process,  It took about 4 months to hear back, but he got the visa. Too late to take the planned trip though. 

CantClimbTom 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

I got a written caution for something which is a record but immediately spent under rehab of offenders. That was about 25 years ago, traveling to US only 6 years later I didn't declare (because spent) and no issue for me. I think due to how long ago it might not show up due to UKs general disorganisation, if it had been more recent it may have been an issue. I strongly suspect you'll be fine (but I can't 100% guarantee anything)

Powley 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Had a caution for the same thing at 17. Didn't show on an enhanced DBS when I was 27/28. I'd say you're fine

Stichtplate 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

You weren’t charged, you weren’t convicted and you weren’t an adult. I’d be very surprised if that’d show up anywhere. 

Dave the Rave 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Had a few terrace fracas as a teenager and a few ‘rests’ in the cells after an Indian, including an unfortunate shopping trolley hide and seek competition with a copper.

Never tried to get to the USA though.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful. 
Dave 

Sorry, two unfortunate shipping trolley incidents involving the cops

Post edited at 23:34

Lol ! 

> Just tick the "moral turpitude" box on the form they give you on the plane. Let us know how it goes (I've always wondered....).

I don't know about the moral turpitude box, but ticking the Nazi War Crimes box definitely slows things down.

George Ormerod 05 Sep 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> I don't know about the moral turpitude box, but ticking the Nazi War Crimes box definitely slows things down.

It speeded things up in 1946 if you also happened to tick the “worked on the V2 rocket program” box too. 

lanky 05 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Having just read this I totally forgot about my caution for Cannabis that I got 22 years ago when I was 16, It didn't stop me getting a ESTA in 2018 I obviously hadn't told them when applying for the visa as I'd forgotten about it.

OP Fozzy 05 Sep 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

It popped up on an CRB check I had for work years ago, but I’m pretty sure it didn’t show up on a later enhanced DBS. I’m going to do a Subject Access Request to ACCRO & see if it’s on there still. 

ThunderCat 05 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

I got nicked about 30 years for a bit of teenage drunkeness. Just a night in the cells and a telling off, no charge or anything. I sweated like hell about whether to declare this on my ESTA application when I went to the states... In the end I didn't, and it didn't get flagged. It was a tense walk through passport control though. 

Lankyman 05 Sep 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

> It speeded things up in 1946 if you also happened to tick the “worked on the V2 rocket program” box too. 

On my first climbing trip Stateside the passport officer asked us 'what's the highest mountain in America?' Not wanting to appear like smart@rses we said McKinley. He let us in.

Flinticus 10 Sep 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Would you have gotten in if you had said 'Denali'?

Sealwife 10 Sep 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Mr S had a conviction for possession of a tiny amount of hash as a 19 year old.  First visited the USA at about 30, didn’t declare it and it didn’t show up.  He went again about 10 years later and was fine that time too.

I can’t actually remember whether he deliberately didn’t tell them or had considered it spent or forgotten about it.

Lankyman 10 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> Would you have gotten in if you had said 'Denali'?

Possibly not. Might have scraped in with a 'Whitney'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...