US Betrayal II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Unfortunately this is not uncommon behaviour by US diplomats in the UK. The use of diplomatic immunity for what are "Petty" crimes (not seeking to diminish the loss suffered here, but this is a road traffic accident with horrible consequences. Not some kind of diplomatic charade/US security issue etc)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41585423

With cases like this, the UK government has to weigh up at what point the presence of US airbases endangers the British public. Behaviour like this shows they(US) couldn't give a f***

Post edited at 00:25
In reply to Greenbanks:

I wonder what our practice is if one of our diplomats in involved in a fatal crash in, say, Thailand.

I would venture to predict that we do not then waive their immunity and leave them to rot in a Thai jail, but maybe I’m wrong.

Johnson’s grandstanding is silly and distasteful, of course, but to be fair most PMs would do the same.

jcm

Ridge 08 Oct 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Behaviour like this shows they(US) couldn't give a f***

At present it shows that one person is using diplomatic immunity to evade prosecution, just like diplomats the world over seem to do. 

The response might well be "f*** off" given who's in charge, but I'm reserving judgement until then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...