Updating Router Firmware

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have an unlocked Huawei E5770 mobile 4g router which I'd like to restore to its unbranded state - it currently has the O2 branded UI. Can anyone recommend somewhere online to download the appropriate firmware? There are so many dodgy-looking unlocking sites I don't know where to begin. Hopefully as it's unlocked already I don't need to unlock it again to change the firmware / UI.

Philip 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

This site has a link to firmware flashing

https://github.com/Huawei-LTE-routers-mods/Huawei_E5770_mod_fw_webui/releas...

This site has link to the Firmware you need to remove O2.

https://routerunlock.com/download-firmware-huawei-e5770s-update-21-180-99-1...

Philip 16 Sep 2020

Word of caution, doing things you don't know how to do is what lead to trouble. What are you trying to achieve - in terms of improved functionality?

In reply to Philip:

Thanks. Any idea whether routerunlock.com is relatively safe?

In reply to Philip:

> Word of caution, doing things you don't know how to do is what lead to trouble. What are you trying to achieve - in terms of improved functionality?

It's a fair cop. Two things: firstly I'm having driver problems connecting the router directly to my PC via USB, which might be easier to figure out if I'm using Huawei's generic firmware and UI, but it's absolutely not important and I can work round it with an Ethernet connection. Secondly, the O2 branding all over the admin pages just bug me. Neither is worth risking bricking the router for.

The Talk Talk router I have is supplied by Sagemcom, with custom firmware. It's the shittest firmware I think I've seen, not even what I'd call pre-alpha release. I'd be ashamed to release it to a test team, let alone roll it out to customers. I might look to see if there's a genuine Sagemcom firmware I can install that won't bugger access to the ISP.

Alternatively, it may be time to tell TT to shove their service and crappy router, and find another. Which will also probably have equally crappy service and crap router...

Post edited at 13:07
 Philip 16 Sep 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

I like Talktalk, but their router is shit. I'm going to rewire network in my house and install mesh system.

I like talktalk because when I complained that they had increased my bill by £1 despite an agreement it would remain the same they responded by removing a monthly £7 cost. I now pay £19.95 for fibre, line rental, anytime calls and  mobile SIM.

Rob Parsons 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Philip:

> I like Talktalk, but their router is shit

What's wrong with it? (Serious question.)

Philip 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Mine seems to drop WAN connection, problems with WiFi, range is worse than the BT model I had before.

In reply to Philip:

> I now pay £19.95 for fibre, line rental, anytime calls and  mobile SIM

In that case, I definitely need to switch, as TT are obviously taking the piss with me, or their pricing model is seriously screwed.

Philip 16 Sep 2020

I was on £25. They told me the £5 for anytime was going up from £10 to £12 (I had 50% discount), I checked that I would stay on £5 and they said yes. Then next month it went up to £6. I complained and they resolved it by removing the charge for the rest of the 18 month contract. I would have been happy with just staying on £25.

The £20 base was matching BT and they threw in a free base station extender.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What's wrong with it? 

You really want to know...? Deep breath...

doesn't give a list of all devices it has had connected

only gives list of devices it thinks are currently connected & powered
    and that often misses devices that are active
doesn't reliably show list of connected devices
    some WiFi devices actively in use are not shown
doesn't show devices with static IP connected via a WiFi to Ethernet extender
    even though they are accessing LAN and WAN perfectly well    
won't remember 'friendly name' and type of device
    keeps reverting to MAC address and 'Miscellaneous'
    (sometimes within minutes)
    returns an error when setting some names
icon for 'Audio & Video' device is white on a white background...
got confused between two entirely different devices (with different MAC addresses)
    said that Moto Defy was up and at an IP address
    when it was, in fact, turned off and in a metal filing cabinet
    it was reporting signal strength information of my MotoE2, with a different MAC and IP address

can't set infinite lease DHCP
    devices change IP each time they connect
    big pain in the arse for NAS devices, or anything that needs port forwarding
doesn't respect devices requesting (non-conflicting, manually-assigned) static IP address
    changes them back to DHCP
can't easily create named port forwarding rules and associate/dissociate them with devices
can't create rules using lists of ports, only ranges
    I want to create a rule with two ports: <port1> & <port2>
lets you add port forwarding rules that don't actually work
    <port2> works
    <port1> doesn't work
when DHCP changes IP address of device, port forward rules remain on the old IP address
    port forward rules should follow the MAC address, not the DHCP
    MAC address identifies the device you want to send data to, IP is a means of getting it there

can't find a simple router up time record
    ah, it's obscured on mobile viewport

logs have 93 pages after 4 days
    no way to export them
    no way to advance to page n
    no way to filter by date

WiFi signal strength is reported as 'dBM'; it should be 'dBm' (dB relative to 1mW)

all in all, it's a bit shit, really.
I develop stuff like this, and have done for 35 years. I'd be ashamed if I released something as poor as this as a prototype, never mind a production device, rolled out to hundreds of thousands of users.
TalkTalk should be ashamed of themselves. This thing is not fit for purpose.

version SG4K10001E00t
haven't bothered trying 'reserve IP address', as I have set all my devices to Static...
doesn't have NAS or Network Storage as a device type Icon
audio/video device icon is now visible, not being white on a white background - well done; that's a major achievement...

25/01/19
After power loss, router didn't come up properly
    wired router working
    wifi router not active
    internet access not active
    power cycle didn't fix
    reset restored factory settings, and wifi and internet access
        factory settings has UPnP port forwarding control enabled, even though it warns that this is a security risk
    restore configuration didn't restore port forwarding settings
some time later
    2g4 wifi network disappeared
    5g0 network visible
    toggled 2g4 network, restored access

still not showing all devices actively connected (even when powered, and actively passing traffic)
still not showing devices that have been connected, but are powered off
still using IP address for port forwarding rules, rather than MAC address

Alkis 16 Sep 2020

> can't set infinite lease DHCP

>     devices change IP each time they connect

>     big pain in the arse for NAS devices, or anything that needs port forwarding

> doesn't respect devices requesting (non-conflicting, manually-assigned) static IP address

>     changes them back to DHCP

> can't easily create named port forwarding rules and associate/dissociate them with deviceS

> when DHCP changes IP address of device, port forward rules remain on the old IP address

>     port forward rules should follow the MAC address, not the DHCP

It would genuinely be in the bin for those alone in my house.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...