Unusual rainbow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 23 Oct 2020

This morning, watched this rainbow develop. Strange thing was, no sign of rain anywhere. The sun was rising behind me, and the ground rises in the direction so wonders if if was the suns rays shining down through some cloud or far away drizzle? Ideas?

Post edited at 10:19

mick taylor 23 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

This was the sun rise five minutes earlier. Felt kinda spiritual. 

wintertree 23 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I'd go with drizzle.

My eye is drawn to the funny vertical feature.  This starts between the two rainbows on the left, much closer to the inner rainbow.  The sky appears lighter to the left and darker to the right.  Was this a manually panned landscape photo?  Either that or the aliens are coming.  

Epic sun rise here this morning as well.

mick taylor 23 Oct 2020
In reply to wintertree:

The vertical feature is me learning how to pan photos.  I also think must have been some drizzle somewhere. 

cp123 23 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Sun is generally behind you in rainbows, if you look at a diagram of the light refracting as it enters a raindrop you will also see it reflect of the back surface of the drop.

I will guess there is some drizzle nearby.

Rog Wilko 24 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

What looks unusual to me is the way the ends of the rainbow hit the ground at very close to 90 degrees.

ablackett 24 Oct 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's becauseit is just after sunrise, so the sun is directly behind, rather than above the observer.

mick taylor 24 Oct 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks for that. People saw similar in different places in the NW and also commented about the lack of rain. It was also unusual because of the brightness but relative lack of colour, and it looked ‘thin’. Pretty cool all the same. 

Rog Wilko 24 Oct 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that. Explains why I've never seen it like that.

streapadair 24 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

A rainbow is the arc of a circle of which you never see a complete half, not from ground level anyway. The putative centre of this circle is as many degrees below the horizon as the sun is above it, hence the rainbow is nearly a semicircle at sunrise and sunset, but a very shallow arc in the middle of a summer day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...