University challenge barriers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arcturus 13 Mar 2023

Just watching it. When is it recorded…why have they still got anti Covid screening? What’s that all about?

Rob Parsons 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

I wondered exactly the same thing. It seems totally pointless. The teams will obviously be talking to each in all other circumstances without any barriers.

DaveHK 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

I was hoping this was going to be another class warfare thread. 

JLS 13 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Scumbag for the win…

youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5SJKI6RpU&

Pedro50 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

Possibly: the first rounds will have been recorded some time ago, it would be unfair to remove the screens halfway through the series. And Jeremy is poorly.

Rob Parsons 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> ... And Jeremy is poorly.

The screens will have zero beneficial effect for Paxman.

Pedro50 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It was a joke 😀

Rob Parsons 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Ok, got it. (I thought you might have been making a serious reference to his Parkinson's diagnosis.)

Post edited at 22:14
 wintertree 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Ok, got it. (I thought you might have been making a serious reference to his Parkinson's diagnosis.)

There’s a serious point that someone with a progressive neurological disease is best off not catching other diseases that permanently degrade health.

Autoimmune disorders are implicated in the loss of function of dopaminergic neurones in Parkinson’s patients, and there’s a lot going on with post covid syndrome / long covid and autoimmune disorders.  Loss of dopaminergic function is central to Parkinson’s disease and there’s growing evidence that covid disrupts at least one dopaminergic pathway.

It’s hardly a shocking revelation that a person with a serious, life shortening disease is best advised to avoid exposure to any other disease that degrades health, and there are multiple red flags to suggest that Parkinson’s patients should avoid exposure to covid.

Post edited at 22:57
 Rob Parsons 13 Mar 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> Why deny the serious point that someone with a progressive neurological disease is best off not catching other diseases that permanently degrade health?  

Eh? It is quite obvious that the barriers used in University Challenge will have no beneficial effect in respect of the presenter. Have you seen the barriers we're talking about?

wintertree 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Eh? It is quite obvious that the barriers used in University Challenge will have no beneficial effect in respect of the presenter. Have you seen the barriers we're talking about?

No, I was inferring from the posts on the thread.  No TV licence…  if I inferred wrong as it seems, my bad.

Still, hard to see what the objection to a few bits of clear plastic is.  

I stand by my point though, someone with PD is by far better off avoiding exposure to covid for the reasons I gave.  They’re better off avoiding exposure to the “common cold” and flu as well.  If the studio isn’t set up for that, it’s hard to excuse given what is known about airflow, HEPA filtration and respiratory viruses.

Post edited at 22:57
 montyjohn 14 Mar 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> No, I was inferring from the posts on the thread.  No TV licence…  if I inferred wrong as it seems, my bad.

What was it you said about making assumptions the other day?

Hovercraft 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

> Just watching it. When is it recorded…why have they still got anti Covid screening? What’s that all about?

I’ve not seen the programme, but funnily enough I was in an Italian restaurant at the weekend (in the UK) that still has clear plastic screens between tables. Privately owned and operated, very well run. Clearly they had made a positive decision to keep them. 

Post edited at 11:45
 Justaname 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

They have them on Pointless too

Yanis Nayu 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Hovercraft:

It annoys me that most hospitality venues pay absolutely no attention now to basic measures like ventilation. Every cafe I go in is an hermetically sealed airborne soup of viruses.  

DR 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Justaname:

Not on Saturday's Pointless Celebs they didn't. I'll get my coat...

Davie

hang_about 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Arcturus:

He said something about it the other week - the barriers, and the earpieces so they can communicate effectively. 

Rob Parsons 14 Mar 2023
In reply to hang_about:

> He said something about it the other week - the barriers, and the earpieces so they can communicate effectively. 

What he said was that the contestants had been issued with earpieces so that they could communicate with each other in spite of the barriers. It wasn't an argument for the barriers per se.

OP Arcturus 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Justaname:

Not sure they still have them on Pointless. I can never be sure whether I’m watching a current programme or an old one. 

pretty pointless anyway I would think. They’d get more exposure just walking round Tesco.

Fat Bumbly2 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

If he is like Bambi, he will be quite far away from the contestants,

snoop6060 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Why do you keep going in them then? 

Brass Nipples 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Justaname:

> They have them on Pointless too

Pointless barriers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...