Unfortunate Picture of Nicola

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 29 Aug 2019

… on the BBC - just scroll down:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49504526

She looks for all the world like the cat that got the cream. As well she might, because with Davidson gone that's one more obstacle in the way of independence removed, and one step nearer Scotland joining the EU. That's a sufficiently realistic possibility that I'm even contemplating moving there.

Another triumph for Johnson, PM of the United Kingdom of England and Wales!

andyd1970 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Your tax will go up and the cost of beer is more!

baron 29 Aug 2019

I’m sure that the EU will welcome Scotland with open arms.

Another net recipient to fund and another external land border to police.

cb294 29 Aug 2019
In reply to baron:

There will be opposition from Spain, but that is about it.

CB

baron 29 Aug 2019
In reply to cb294:

> There will be opposition from Spain, but that is about it.

> CB

So there’s a huge problem with creating a hard border between Northern Ireland and the UK but there won’t be any problems with a similar border between Scotland and England?

In reply to baron:

Can you really, really, really, really not see the difference? In fact, there's three:

1) There are far fewer crossings between England and Scotland than between N Ireland and Ireland - it's really quite a depopulated part of the world. Bung a barrier across the A74 and you've pretty much got it cracked.

2) It's been 200 years since people were fighting over borders between Scotland and England; it's been about 20 since they stopped in N Ireland.

3) And Scotland WANT the border; neither side wants it in Ireland.

baron 29 Aug 2019

Unlike your usual thoughtful posts I feel that you might have oversimplified the border issues.

jkarran 29 Aug 2019
In reply to cb294:

> There will be opposition from Spain, but that is about it.

There certainly would have been but I think brexit will probably temper that.

jk

cb294 29 Aug 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Scotland applying to remain in / rejoin the EU would be a major PR coup for the EU on the world stage, and as such most welcome. In a way the opposite of why Trump and Putin welcome Brexit.

Spanish reservations due to Catalunya will certainly have to be dealt with, but that is nothing new. The EU lives by constant haggling and compromise.

CB

It is strange to reflect that in all probability we’ll see a hard border in this island in our lifetimes, thanks to this stupid nonsense.

jcm

skog 29 Aug 2019

I wouldn't underplay the significance of a hard border between Scotland and England, to be honest. It isn't going to kick off Irish-style troubles, but it's very much in Scotland's (and England's) interest to have a soft border there.

I for one, while strongly supporting Scottish independence, never wanted Scotland to not be in a union with England/the rest of the UK, with free trade and free movement. It's really unfortunate that England wants to leave the union that enabled that, and the consequences will of course be seen first and most obviously in Ireland.

This is one of the things about England wanting a hard brexit - it makes things worse for Scotland with or without independence, it's just that independence allows Scotland the chance to head in a better direction from there.

Removed User 29 Aug 2019

> Can you really, really, really, really not see the difference? In fact, there's three:

> 1) There are far fewer crossings between England and Scotland than between N Ireland and Ireland - it's really quite a depopulated part of the world. Bung a barrier across the A74 and you've pretty much got it cracked.

> 2) It's been 200 years since people were fighting over borders between Scotland and England; it's been about 20 since they stopped in N Ireland.

> 3) And Scotland WANT the border; neither side wants it in Ireland.

You're wrong on all three points but I do agree that if BJ is trying to get Scotland to leave the UK he's playing an absolute blinder.

Can't fault him.

Stichtplate 29 Aug 2019

According to this year’s figures from the Scottish government, exports to the rest of the UK totalled 49 billion. Meanwhile, Scottish exports to the entire rest of the EU amounted to 15 billion.

...and you think Scotland will welcome a hard border?

In reply to andyd1970:

'Your tax will go up and the cost of beer is more!'

But I'll be a European citizen, with freedom of movement, access to the  court of human rights, readily available European food, created with ever-improving standards of welfare and environmental protection; and be part of a 600 million strong  political entity that can create our own destiny in the world with shared values of the rule of law, citizen's rights, democratic accountability, social justice, economic development, environmental protection, sustainability and international development.

Hey, I'm off! 

summo 29 Aug 2019

What about Buckfast smuggling, isn't it made by monks in Devon or Somerset? 

wintertree 29 Aug 2019

> Can you really, really, really, really not see the difference? In fact, there's three:

> 1) There are far fewer crossings between England and Scotland than between N Ireland and Ireland - it's really quite a depopulated part of the world.

A quick and probably inaccurate scan of the map suggests 21 roads, 2 railways lines and a bunch of public rights of way and access land to the southern side of the border.

> 3) And Scotland WANT the border; neither side wants it in Ireland.

That’s quite the statement...

You will of course still have access to the ECHR after Brexit, until the Tories repeal the Human Rights Act, as they have said they will, and even after that until we withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, which I think even the Tories have so far seen as a step too far, although I don’t suppose that will last long the way they’re going.

jcm

Pefa 29 Aug 2019
In reply to wintertree:

After the mess created by the Tory party I think most Scots will want independence. 

Doug 29 Aug 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> A quick and probably inaccurate scan of the map suggests 21 roads, 2 railways lines and a bunch of public rights of way and access land to the southern side of the border.

I've not checked so maybe wrong but think I read/heard that there are some 300 roads crossing the Irish border

In reply to cb294:

I expect the currency will be an issue like last time

In reply to Doug:

Yes that was my understanding.

In reply to baron:

> So there’s a huge problem with creating a hard border between Northern Ireland and the UK but there won’t be any problems with a similar border between Scotland and England?

My guess is EEA membership would look really attractive to rUK if Scotland was in the EU.   There was only a 2% majority for any form of Brexit in 2016 and Scotland rejoining the EU would give many voters a reason to want to be in the EU single market and have freedom of movement.  There's a lot of voters in England with family members in Scotland and a lot voters working for English companies that also trade in Scotland.

Yanis Nayu 29 Aug 2019

My maternal grandparents were Scottish. I’d seriously consider upping sticks if England continues on its way ho becoming the 51st state. 

Pete Pozman 29 Aug 2019
In reply to baron:

> So there’s a huge problem with creating a hard border between Northern Ireland and the UK but there won’t be any problems with a similar border between Scotland and England?

A deal will be the easiest thing in the world to do. Don't be a gloomster. 

Pete Pozman 29 Aug 2019

Just got back from Scotland. I can't figure out why I don't already live there. 

skog 29 Aug 2019
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

It would also pretty much straight-out solve the Irish border issue.

I really don't get why this 'Norway Option' wasn't the Brexit of choice for the government to pursue - it's a compromise, giving a fair bit to remainers and to leavers, who let's remember were pretty close in numbers; it was promoted as an option by several prominent leavers during the referendum campaign; and it avoids the massive economic problems and risks of leaving the single market, and the border issues.

An landslide victory for leave might have given a remit for a hard brexit, but the result we actually got pretty much screamed 'compromise on a soft brexit'.

Ach well, we are where we are now and will have to make the best of it.

skog 29 Aug 2019

Given the number of people expressing a wish to move to an independent Scotland,

(a) Please move up and help it happen!

(b) I'm starting to think that positive 'brain drain' INTO Scotland may actually be a significant plus to independence.

Pete Pozman 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Doug:

> I've not checked so maybe wrong but think I read/heard that there are some 300 roads crossing the Irish border

That's because the Irish border is the result of a gerrymandered carve up. Whereas the Scottish border mostly follows the lie of the land (and of course hundreds of years of savage conflict.) 

baron 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> A deal will be the easiest thing in the world to do. Don't be a gloomster. 

Yes, sorry, forgot about that.

OK, Scottish independence it is then.

rogerwebb 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I wouldn't rush. This country is split too, albeit the balance has likely shifted, at least for now. It is unlikely, especially given who it would seem would be leading the rUK side, that negotiations would be any easier than brexit.  Independence will not be quick, cheap or easy it will cause disruption financially and division politically and socially. Its effects will be deeper than brexit.

It is possible that, as many on these forums believe, the price would be worth paying, but, like brexit, be careful what you wish for. 

As Eric says above, Boris Johnson seems to be doing his best to drive Scotland out of the Union and is playing a blinder in that respect.  

Post edited at 13:31
 andyd1970 29 Aug 2019

Pretty much like Switzerland has apart from the obvious.

BnB 29 Aug 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

> Your tax will go up and the cost of beer is more!

It's not the cost of the beer, it's the quality that shocks me.

In reply to BnB:

I believe other drinks are available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...