Unesco - Slate landscape of North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 25 Jul 2021

Great that Unesco might recognise  "an area of remarkable uniqueness and breath-taking beauty".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57945263

Luke90 25 Jul 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Provided they don't decide that climbers are spoiling it!

summo 25 Jul 2021

Shouldn't would heritage sites be almost unique, a one off, stonehenge, great wall, pyramids... a slate quarry hardly seems worth protecting, and protecting from what!? 

summo 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Luke90:

> Provided they don't decide that climbers are spoiling it!

Like damaging it by placing bolts? 

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021

Indeed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In 1982 I walked across Swaledale on the PW and saw abandoned lead mine workings for the first time. My mate thought they were ugly and should be erased whilst I thought they were fascinating and added a unique quality to the scene. I still hold this view.

Robert Durran 25 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> A slate quarry hardly seems worth protecting, and protecting from what!? 

Bolting? Chalk?

As for "breathtaking beauty", I think they may have meant "breathtaking ugliness". The heritage thing makes sense though.

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> Shouldn't would heritage sites be almost unique, a one off, stonehenge, great wall, pyramids... a slate quarry hardly seems worth protecting, and protecting from what!? 

Possibly it's the sum of many individual parts creating a whole landscape. Roman forts and various associated structures are common in Britain but at Hadrian's Wall they all combine in a unique way. That's why it's a UNESCO site.

summo 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I think with quarries it depends, there are quite a lot of them. Simply being a quarry can't really be enough. Intact historic building, original equipment, ramps, rails etc.. something that's more akin to a museum, not just a pile of spoil. 

summo 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Possibly it's the sum of many individual parts creating a whole landscape. Roman forts and various associated structures are common in Britain but at Hadrian's Wall they all combine in a unique way. That's why it's a UNESCO site.

The wall marking the most northern point of the roman empire is quite significant. If you ignore the earth wall that ran across Scotland, through Glasgow that you can still find parts of today. It's a fairly major piece of European history. 

Slate? Not so sure. It doesn't mean something doesn't have local, regional or national value. But globally, is it really significant? 

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> The wall marking the most northern point of the roman empire is quite significant. If you ignore the earth wall that ran across Scotland, through Glasgow that you can still find parts of today. It's a fairly major piece of European history. 

> Slate? Not so sure. It doesn't mean something doesn't have local, regional or national value. But globally, is it really significant? 

I'm not well up on Welsh slate history but didn't it 'roof' the empire? I did read somewhere that Dent 'marble' is somewhere in the Vatican so slate going global wouldn't be too farfetched.

OP robert-hutton 28 Jul 2021

Glad they have been awarded it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57986167

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...