UKC in black and white

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisBrooke 10 Nov 2021
Thread moved from Rockfax to Off Belay

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I didn't want to mix it with the climbing stuff.

UKC went black and white for me yesterday. That is to say the forum icons are all black and people's posts no longer have a darker bar at the top, making reading/navigating the forums much harder for me. If this is a split-test, can you put me back in the other group...? If this is for everyone, can I register my dislike?

Cheers,

Chris

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Have you just switched it to night mode? Go to the bottom of the page and the Night Mode toggle should show although it will say 'Day Mode' if you have switched.

Alan

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

We've had someone else report it, but can't replicate ourselves. could you please tell me the device, OS version, and browser you are running please?

cheers

chris_r 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Are you sure you're not watching on a black and white TV?

dread-i 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

>UKC went black and white for me yesterday. T

I saw that. And the grey line above each post disappeared.

To me it looked like a style sheet didnt load or similar. It fixed itself ~20 mins later.

Andypeak 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Sounds to me like you've pressed the "light headers" button at the bottom of the page. On the forum scroll down to the bottom and its on the right hand side under night mode.

john arran 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

This happened to me last night. I was only on the site very briefly (Chrome on Android), so wasn't inconvenienced, but it does suggest the issue was more likely to have been a site/OS/device one rather than a user config.

cb294 10 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Same issue here, both on a Windows 10 machine running Firefox 94 and a Macbook Air  M1 with current MacOS with a current Firefox version.

CB

Andy Johnson 10 Nov 2021

This happened to me last night. The night/day mode switch was showing night mode but the window had a white background. Setting to day mode then back to night mode had no effect.

Firefox 94.1.1 on a Galaxy Tab S7+ running Android 11. PWA and non-PWA versions of the site.

Seems to be all right now on the tablet and my Windows 10 work pc.

OP ChrisBrooke 10 Nov 2021

Hi Andy.

Defo not night mode, or light/dark headers.

I'm on an iMac (2019)

OS 10.15.7

Chrome.

Just fired up Safari on the same machine and that's fine. Also opened an incognito tab on Chrome and it's fine. Looks like i need some kind of 'hard refresh'.

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

FWIW, I just fired up Safari again and it's still fine, but when I opened an incognito tab in Chrome to repeat the test, it now also has all the icons in only black. Strange.

FactorXXX 10 Nov 2021

> We've had someone else report it, but can't replicate ourselves. could you please tell me the device, OS version, and browser you are running please?

It happened to me yesterday evening.
At the very bottom of the page there was a message to the effect of 'Notications Updating' and with a spinning time wheel.
CTRL + F5 fixed it and returned UKC back to normal - Night Mode in my case.

Webster 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

its still that way for me too. i have changed in and out of night mode and in and out of lght headers, makes no difference...

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

For reference, the problem looks like this: 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Do you mind opening dev tools (cmd shift i), and screenshot the console please (have attached image of what to click).

then either email it to me, or upload it as a pic on this thread

> We've had someone else report it,

If a page is slow to render, you can see various bits get rendered, and then re-render. The forum icons appear to render first as black outlines, and then re-render in colour. There seems to be rather a lot of unnecessary re-rendering going on; not sure if that's the browser at work, or your page composition software.

As someone who has downloaded UKC pages for 'archive' over the last twenty years, it's interesting to see the increasing bloat and unintelligibility of modern web pages (not restricted to UKC, obviously). I guess it's equivalent to moving from machine code to HLL...

SuperstarDJ 10 Nov 2021

Same issue here.  

Windows 10, Chrome - Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Toggling the light header/dark header button changes the look of the page but night/day doesn't.

Garethza 10 Nov 2021

No errors, but it seems to be the notifications bit thats broken at the bottom of the page so i think that script is just not executing properly sometimes and breaking the styling for the rest of the page perhaps. It seems intermittent, it will work on one page and then not work on the next... !

Post edited at 13:43

wert 10 Nov 2021
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Same for me. 
iPad iOS 14.7.1

nniff 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Windows 10 and Edge.  I'm busy 'loading notifications' at the bottom.  If I click the little x on the left, I exit the site....

Day/night and light headers make no difference

Post edited at 14:29

No text, but I've included the message at the bottom in case that's relevant (I'm not a 'computer guy')

Bottom Clinger 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Mines gone weird on my laptop, but fine on iphone

Post edited at 15:49
 Olaf Prot 10 Nov 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

if it helps, the pink is behind the green

jay lafferty 10 Nov 2021

Same happened to me last night, back to normal now. 

I am using chrome on my android ( Samsung S20) 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Back to normal now. Cheers. 

SuperstarDJ 11 Nov 2021
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Fixed for me - thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...