UKC cookbook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 15 Mar 2019

Over the years there have been various threads about cooking - both at home and whilst out on the hill so thought it may be a good idea to start a place for good recipes - UKC is good go to place so why not?

Over to you then, anyone like to share a particular favorite recipe of theirs? 

profitofdoom 15 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Two good ones (I think):

• SMOKED SALMON & AVOCADO SPAGHETTI - 2 large servings
  • 180 gm spaghetti
  • Butter (salted)
  • 100 gm smoked salmon, chopped
  • 1 very large ripe avocado, stoned, peeled, & roughly chopped
  • About 20 heads of parsley, chopped (no stalks)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Lemon juice (2 squeezes)
  • Plenty of black pepper, + plenty of salt
  • METHOD
  • *Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water in a large saucepan. Drain thoroughly
  • *Melt plenty of butter in the saucepan. Add salt, pepper, & garlic
  • *Stir in drained spaghetti. Mix in thoroughly
  • *Stir in avocado, salmon, lemon juice, & parsley. Mix in thoroughly. Serve immediately
  • MILD PEA AND SWEET POTATO CURRY - 4 servings
  • Smear of olive oil
  • 500 gms. sweet potato (peeled & diced)
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 cm piece ginger (peeled & finely chopped)
  • 2 tbps curry powder
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 200 ml chicken stock
  • 300 gms. frozen peas
  • 2 tbps lemon juice
  • Salt & black pepper [use plenty of both]
  • METHOD
  • *Heat oil in a large saucepan. Fry sweet potato and onion or 10 mins.
  • *Stir in garlic & ginger
  • *Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min.
  • *Add tinned tomatoes, blend in stock, then bring to the boil
  • *Cover & simmer gently for 20 mins. (smallest flame)
  • *Stir in frozen peas, & cook for 3 mins.
  • *Stir in lemon juice
  • *Serve with milk to drink
Post edited at 12:57
 jonnie3430 15 Mar 2019
duckweed 15 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/YF4arst/turkey-and-chorizo-stew-with-chickpeas...

https://www.copymethat.com/r/ZGdr1GI/brazilian-fish-stew-moqueca-baiana/

My family seemed to enjoy these two when they were made and its pretty easy/quick stuff which can easily be frozen.

Also if anyone needs, this website (copymethat) is great - its a browser add on that automatically selects the ingredients/recipe/extra notes from a whole page and condenses it into a simple recipe with picture. Just needs a single click and you can add tags or ratings to it after. Cross platform so you can use it on PC and mobile totally free

Rob Exile Ward 15 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Not directly relevant, but Jamie Oliver's book - '5 Ingredients' - is great. I got out of the habit of cooking a long time ago - could never be bothered to go shopping for 10 ingredients after a hard day's work, so this has been a game changer for me - 5 ingredients I can cope with!

Mike-W-99 15 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

(Works great with chicken too)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/21/chilli-tofu-recipe-veg...

However I like to tinker with such things so my variation is as follows(for two generous portions)

I use the sauce quantities for 4 but have it for two and use the tofu for 2(cauldron standard pack is just under 400g and I think it’s pretty good.)

Basically take the garlic , ginger , chilli , onion,  cumin ( I just use powdered) and blitz it into a paste.

Fry off the tofu as described in the recipe. You don’t need as much oil as she says.

Fry off the paste mix. Add the sugar , soy and tomato purée and fry off a bit more. Add the peppers and water if needed and cover until the peppers are cooked.

Don’t add her extra salt, she puts too much in her recipes. Black pepper to taste but I frequently forget it.

Add the tofu and heat through. Serve with your favourite curry accompaniments.

birdie num num 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Vesta Beef Curry with Rice...

Open the rice packet and pour into saucepan adding 285ml of water and bring to the boil for 15 mins stirring occasionally. 

Meanwhile, rehydrate the sauce mix from the other packet with boiling water, stirring for the preferred consistency and simmer gently in a pan.

When the rice is done, pour on a plate, making a well in the middle and add the sauce mix.

(for a really glossy authentic sauce add a knob of margarine at the end of the cooking)

For a true taste of the Taj Mahal serve with poppadum and mango chutney 

Yanis Nayu 16 Mar 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

For an exciting twist, pour in the powder from a curry pot noodle just before the end of cooking. 

peppermill 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Yay a thread worth reading........................

This one is obviously pinched but its an absolute cracker:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/nutrition/post-training-meals-chicken-...

Post edited at 07:29
 snoop6060 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Not the most technically challenging but this Thai dish is a winner everytime.

Chicken Rice

Take a whole chicken, remove some fat from its neck or back end and reserve the fat. Liberally season with salt and white pepper. Stuff the cavity with lemon grass, galangal (or ginger) and spring onions. Leave to stand for 15 mins.

Put the whole chicken in a pan so it's a tight fit, ideally it only just fits. Fill with cold water until the bird is covered. Cover with a lid. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15mins then turn off the heat and leave for a further 30mins. Remove the bird, cover and reserve the liquor. 

Take the chicken fat you removed and melt it in a pan (that has a lid), stir fry dry jasmine rice till it's totally coated then add half a teaspoon of salt and enough of the reserved chicken broth to cook the rice. Cover and cook.

Reduce down the rest of the chick broth until happy with flavour. 

Serve the rice, sliced poached chicken (remove skin obviously) with a bowl of chicken broth, a simple cucumber salad and sweet chilli sauce. 

Edit: should at least credit Rick Stein here. It's from his far Eastern odesey book which is absolutely superb if you are into this sort of food.

Post edited at 08:01
 Fozzy 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

As I’ve cureently got a freezer full of pheasant to eat, I’m using that for this one. It also works well with chicken. 

Buttermilk Fried Pheasant 

- Lay the breast flat, score lightly, cover with cling film then tap out with a rolling pin until about 5mm thick. 

- Mix together buttermilk, garlic powder, marjoram, smoked paprika, black pepper & sea salt.  Marinate breasts in this for 6hr-overnight, moving around occasionally. 

- Mix together (in a shallow bowl) plain flour and chilli powder (I normally use about 20% chilli to 80% flour). Heat a pan with about 25-30mm of veg oil in the bottom of it until the oil is about 180c. 

- Take the breast from the buttermilk, briefly allow excess to drip off then coat in the flour mix and straight into the hot oil. Leave on one side for 2-3mins before turning over for a further 3 mins, or until dark golden brown on the outside. 

I serve these either plated with oven baked sweet potato wedges and sweetcorn, or in a burger with fresh salad leaves, lemon mayo etc. 

In reply to subtle:

A Carrot 

Method

Eat raw with hunger 

We are obsessed about having to cook foods 

Post edited at 10:27
 birdie num num 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Shit in a Dustbin....

Chop and fry some kidney with onion and chilli. Add stock, simmer, reduce and season. Transfer into a freshly baked Aunt Bessie’s vol au vent and replace the lid.

Voila!...shit in a dustbin

mbh 16 Mar 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Have you tried Hugh F-W's Three Good Things?

Sean Kelly 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

This is easy and sooooooo tasty...

Banana & Coconut Bread

Ingredients
Serves: 12 

2 eggs

200g Muscovado sugar

110g butter, melted

225g mashed ripe bananas

1 teaspoon almond extract

200g plain flour

8 tablespoons desiccated coconut

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

60g chopped walnuts or crushed mixed nuts

125g glace cherries, chopped or mixed fruit

Method
Prep:20min  ›  Cook:1hr  ›  Ready in:1hr20min 

Mix together flour, coconut, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, chopped walnuts and cherries.

Break eggs in a mixing bowl, and beat until light and frothy. Add sugar and melted butter. Beat well. Stir in mashed banana and flavouring. Add flour mixture, and stir just to combine. Spoon into greased 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tin.

Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, and remove from tin. Cool.

ps. It works well with gluten free flour with half a teaspoon of xantham gum.

Post edited at 17:28
 Tigger 16 Mar 2019
In reply to subtle:

Try this, its a great one to cook at home and then heat up at the hut or while camping.

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-satay-curry/

Post edited at 17:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...