Two PCs - One Monitor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 31 May 2020

A few months ago I bought a new pc running on Windows 10. Although the old one with Windows 8.1 had slowed down quite a bit along with some other issues it remains useable and there are programs on it which I still have a need for(like image editing programs) but I don't think I can get them on Windows 10.

Is there any way that both PCs can be connected simultaneously to the same monitor with some sort of switching device so that I can switch from one pc to another without having to disconnect/reconnect cables.

Thanks

two_tapirs 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a look at the connections on the back of your new and old PC's, and the connections on the monitor.  You may find that you can run a cable from the new PC using HDMI, and the old PC using VGA/DVi or whatever else you have.  Then you can switch from the monitor.

My set up:

MacBook connects to monitor via DisplayPort

Raspberry Pi connects to the same monitor via HDMI

Then on the monitor I choose the input source.

The other option would be a physical device to manage the connection, something like a KVM switch (Keyboard, Video, Mouse).  Feel free to post you set up here and then we can point you in the direction of the best device to suit your needs and wallet.

Also, post the software that you use the old PC for, I'm sure there are plenty of us here who can advise on it, or alternatives

Route Adjuster 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

KVM switch.

OP mypyrex 31 May 2020
In reply to both: Thanks for the info. I'd read about KVM and that might be my route. I'm not in any hurry at the moment but I'll post back as and when.

Thanks.

Blue Straggler 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Thanks for the thread, I have been pondering this lately, I know it is possible but don't know the constraints. 

two_tapirs I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt output, a Dell laptop PC, and a Dell large monitor. I run the Dell laptop alongside the large monitor (through a docking station) as a dual screen layout via VGA. There are HDMI and Displayport inputs on the monitor. I'd like to park the MacBook Pro away out of sight, run it from an external keyboard and mouse (happy for these to be different to the ones I use for the Dell laptop) and view it on the same large Dell monitor. 

What do I need please? Am I right in thinking a KVM won't do it due to, well, Apple being proprietary?

Post edited at 20:05
OP mypyrex 31 May 2020
In reply to two_tapirs:

> Have a look at the connections on the back of your new and old PC's, and the connections on the monitor.  You may find that you can run a cable from the new PC using HDMI, and the old PC using VGA/DVi or whatever else you have.  Then you can switch from the monitor.

There only appears to be one VGA connection on the back of the monitor(plus power)

Route Adjuster 31 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

You might find a solution here https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/thunderbolt-kvm-switch.html 

Rob Exile Ward 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex: TBH you might consider running two monitors from one PC a more sensible alternative. Being able to, for example, look at photos on one monitor and google the locations on another - or write notes - is a big step forward. Life changing, in fact; I'm not joking.

Running one monitor from two PCs is what we used to do in the Old Days, when monitors were huge and expensive. 

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I have an adapter that connects ipad to HDMI so it should be possible.  

Blue Straggler 31 May 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Ha ha, thanks and sorry for not just Googling it myself. Just wanted to be involved in a thread

Pbob 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I've not bought one in a while but you'll probably find a KVM switch much more cash than buying a good used monitor. If you really only want one monitor you could swap your current one for one with multiple inputs (prob HDMI plus DVI)

AndyC 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

If you only want to access the old machine from time to time, you could just set up a Remote Desktop Connection to it from the new PC. The performance will be slightly impacted so potentially not good enough for your image editing.

But if you've invested in a new computer, I'd really suggest trying to move as many applications as possible over to the new one - it will be better in the long run! Sound advice from someone running one laptop, three Windows tablets and two Synology NASs as we speak!

freeflyer 31 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

> Remote Desktop Connection

This is the right answer. Also AndyC's suggestion about moving whatever you can to the new PC.

If your new PC has a better monitor you should find the performance is more than adequate, perhaps even better depending on circumstances. 

If at all possible get wired connections for both machines from your router, but wifi will work.

Lots of help about setup available online.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...