Trumps pardon list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dread-i 20 Jan 2021

I've had a quick scan through of Trumps pardon list.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-r...

I don't know if this is the full list or if there will be additional lists released in the next few days.

What strikes me is that rather than it being chock full of his dodgy mates, or family, it seems very mundane. Quite a lot of low level drug offenses. There are some of Trumps mates on there, but it doesn't seem overly politicized.

There are a lot of people on there who have served their time, in some cases decades ago. There are some that have had their time reduced. I didn't see many obvious miscarriages being corrected, but there are a few.

My question is: Are these token pardons or cases that have received particular attention in the media?

Jamie Davidson - Notably, witnesses who testified against Mr. Davidson later recanted their testimony in sworn affidavits and further attested that Mr. Davidson had no involvement.  Although Mr. Davidson has been incarcerated for nearly 29 years, the admitted shooter has already been released from prison.

Blanca Virgen – President Trump commuted the sentence of Blanca Virgen. Ms. Virgen has served 12 years of a 30 year sentence. Rather than accept a plea offer of 10 years, Ms. Virgen exercised her constitutional right to trial and received triple the amount of time the government offered her to plead.

Chalana McFarland – President Trump commuted the sentence of Chalana McFarland. Ms. McFarland has served 15 years of a 30-year sentence. Though she went to trial, Ms. McFarland actually cooperated with authorities by informing them of a potential attack on the United States Attorney. Her co-defendants who pled guilty, however, received lesser sentences ranging from 5 to 87 months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...