Trump censored

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53567681

No, not the one we would all like to shut up for a few moments, but Jr, who, like his dad has shared some nonsense about COVID treatments and then the supporters shout 'we're being censored' 'it's political'.

I say bollocks.  If I spout shit, offensive shit, dangerous shit, on a privately run platform, funded by private shareholders and revenue coming from advertisers, where I have probably signed some T&Cs telling me what I shouldn't write, and where the platform probably has stipulated that it can do what it likes on its platform then sure, the platform can take down the crap it thinks is crap.

After all, the Daily Mail/Mirror have full editorial control over what they decide can be printed in its pages.

And if Twitter wants to be political, does it not have a right to do so just as much as Fox?  Like prominent editors, social media founders the likes of Mark Z probably have a political leaning and despite this, their platforms are much more lenient in what appears than traditional media stations, news outlets and print.

Post edited at 19:00
 wintertree 28 Jul 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It's amazed me how some people aren't prepared to back down from their early belief in hydroxychloroquine.  Am I missing something?

scott culyer 28 Jul 2020

the trump brood are filthy nazis and i have no problems with censorship of nazis. cancel culture my arse. dont see most germans complaining about them not allowing freedom of speech for nazi ideology.

The hypocrisy of the right wing. If it was Twitter deleting tweets supporting trans or gay rights they'd be fine with it but heaven forbid they upset rich, conservative hetrosexual white men. Because if there is one section of society that is unrepresented and struggles to get their voice heard it is that demographic.

jethro kiernan 29 Jul 2020

It’s been part of the right wing playbook now for years, claim your right to be heard is being silenced and make a big deal about it. Same with the cancel culture thing, when I was at Uni back in the day the student conservative club wouldn’t have invited Norman Tebbit to give a talk at the Nelson Mandela bar, that wasn’t cancel culture it was just common sense.

Post edited at 09:16
 bouldery bits 29 Jul 2020
In reply to jethro kiernan:

the student conservative club wouldn’t have invited Norman Tebbit to give a talk at the Nelson Mandela bar, that wasn’t cancel culture it was just common sense.

Actually, that sounds hilarious.

Offwidth 29 Jul 2020

Freedom of speech has been weaponised in the US by the right. Despite the exaggerated nonsense they come out with the main target is the liberal elite and their mainstream media who in UK political terms would be centre or centre right. It's popularism 101... distract from truth.

More on the bun fight... ask yourself how the conspiracy theory quack Trump is promoting could ever be allowed to continue as a doctor in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/28/trump-covid-19-briefing-hyd...

>  After all, the Daily Mail/Mirror have full editorial control over what they decide can be printed in its pages.

If that's editorial control, they have very loose rectums.

There seems to be a war on between the scientific mainstream  and "some" in the political establishment.

There are various issues which are uncomfortable for the political establishment's status quo, the scientific mainstream are there to remind them that simply digging their heads in the sand isn't going to make our problems go away.

So some politicians are taking the easy stance that gives them the votes of the uncultured, which is we haven´t got to do anything, because the whole scientific community is pedaling lies. The social media is a great place to spread misinformation. Trump is king.

I sometimes, in fact quite often, think social media should be shut down completely. 

Its obvious to me that they are now labeling "lies" or even "half truths" as freedom of speech, its the sort of freedom of speech that I'd rather not read.

I won't say anything about Brexit, Covid 19, Climate Change, Bacterial resistance to antibiotics....  because I think my position is quite clear, from what is written above.

Cheers

Post edited at 10:44
 Herdwickmatt 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

I agree in the most part. I’m not sure the phrase “uncultured” is helpful. It’s pretty patronising to refer to those who you disagree with as uncultured. It’s polarising and doesn’t help to open a debate with people if your opening stance is that they lack culture. 

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

True.

You are right, I'm perhaps venting spleen.

Find it hard to be impartial.

Cheers

Herdwickmatt 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

Yeah it’s difficult. I realised tgat calling Brexit voters “dumb racists” wasn’t beneficial (or prossibly even true in some cases) in actually having a discussion about it. So I’ve reached a point where I don’t dismiss people’s viewpoints but try see where they are coming from. I find it hard though because often I find some view points incredibly dumb and uncultured 

cb294 03 Aug 2020

There is no point in arguing with the covidiots, Q anon followers, religious fundamentalists, Trumpsters, or any other conspiracy "theorists".

By all means ridicule them, humiliate them, but don't bother discussing with them. The idiots will drag you down to their level, and win on experience.

F*ck the lot of them, I hope they suffer long and hard for the damage they have done in recent years to Western civilization as we knew it.

CB

In reply to cb294:

True, I attempted reason on some trumpers on holiday after a couple of stiff margueritas, tried to run climate change past them, it git somewhat dark and I left them gibbering about killing commies 

Herdwickmatt 04 Aug 2020
In reply to cb294:

With the hardline I would agree. But they aren’t all hardline, there are lost souls, those who don’t know any better, those who buy into because of ignorance and fear. I genuinely don’t think you can write “them” all off. More compassion and understanding is needed.

and yes there are some true but jobs out there

cb294 04 Aug 2020

They have been indulged long enough, and we are paying the price for their idiocy. Time for a hard confrontation. Here is hoping they all do a Herman Cain.

CB

edit: Ignorance of the law is not a valid defence in court. It should not be a tolerated in any way in social and political discourse either.

Post edited at 16:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...