Tropical Storm Amanda-No News

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 02 Jun 2020

Why is there no reporting of this destructive weather system?

I wish that it could move to being over the White House.Then it would be of use, and be in the news.

Central America is gripped by this storm, and people are dying in places like El Salvador, and Guatemala, and many more are losing their homes, and livelihoods.

OP veteye 02 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

Well I got one like, but surely it would be better, if someone showed that they had noticed this natural disaster. Why is it not in the media in the west though?

jimtitt 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

Well it was a pretty feeble affair (not a hurricane) and only lasted about a day.

GrahamD 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

It's the same with pretty much any typhoon in the East.  It's easy just to run US news reels..  

OP veteye 03 Jun 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Feeble enough to kill people.

jimtitt 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

Many things kill people, a newsworthy cyclone like Bhola in 1970 killed over 500,000 people. A couple of dozen in central America is hardly a world-shaking disaster.

OP veteye 03 Jun 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

and the 25,000 who've lost their homes?

These people have not got our infrastructure, or anything remotely like economic wealth.

And tomorrow Storm  Cristobal hits them having been in the Florida region...

In reply to veteye:

Even in these days of seemingly infinite bandwidth, there is only so much news an organisation can report, especially when there is pressure on staffing levels and budgets.

Which begs the question: what would you rather they didn't report?

T.

OP veteye 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I can see that argument, but it begs the question the other way, as to how it becomes more important to bring up pseudo-news items on the likes of the Yahoo, and Microsoft front page sites, about celebrity quasi-reports and rumours.

There is also the repetition of things that have already been said about Corona virus, but the words have been moved around a little bit. 

Neil Williams 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

Monty Python did a good sketch about this principle but it isn't online anywhere.

"But nobody cares because it's a long way away.  Meanwhile, an Englishman was hurt by a remark made about the cut of his suit.  We will have interviews with his family coming up."

wintertree 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

The hurricane season is starting early this year.  Its setting records related to its early arrival.  I’ve seen no mainstream media coverage of this although Arstechnica have.

Post edited at 21:36
 mack 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

> There is also the repetition of things that have already been said about Corona virus, but the words have been moved around a little bit. 

I agree with you but sadly that's the media though, find a story that will sell sell sell and report the same story for as long as it sells for them. The top story is often the one that causes public emotion,  others are relegated lower, and most don't make it near the podium.

Regarding storm Amanda I'm afraid that right now it is a case of the news of one outweighs the news of many, or the few. (Sorry Star Trek fans).

FYI. I am not a fan of any of the media outlets.

OP veteye 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

Go and look at the new item in Spanish, just to view the images:-

https://www.elsalvador.com/noticias/nacional/danos-causados-por-lluvias-eme...

Then you may have an idea of how it might be viewed if the same thing was happening in this country.

OP veteye 03 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

And if you wanted to help, you could look at the following:-

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-for-people-affected-by-tropical-storm-amand... 

OP veteye 04 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

The next storm, Cristobal in Central America:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/52895618

Billhook 04 Jun 2020
In reply to veteye:

If it had been a slow news day it would have got mentioned.  But what with a few of us British dying  the odd johnny foreigner getting killed isn't going to get a mention.

Its always been the same I'm afraid.

Post edited at 07:52
In reply to veteye:

> I can see that argument, but it begs the question the other way, as to how it becomes more important to bring up pseudo-news items on the likes of the Yahoo, and Microsoft front page sites, about celebrity quasi-reports and rumours.

Because that stuff generates traffic.  You may not like that and think people should be interested in other things, but that ain't so.  

T.

Pedro50 04 Jun 2020

Wasn't there a famous Guardian headline: "Small earthquake in Chile, not many dead"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...